News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Tana (tube fly)

Started by scotfly, February 23, 2008, 06:28:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scotfly

I?m not an expert on spring salmon fishing, but what I have read indicates that yellow is a favourite colour.
So yellow it is here. I?ve tied this on a 3? brass tube, but you can also tie it on Waddingtons.
According to Stan Headley in his book ?Trout and Salmon Flies of Scotland? this fly is a variation of a North of Norway pattern.

Instructions assume right-handed tyers.

HOOK ? Tube or Waddington
THREAD ? Black 6/0
TAG ? Flat Gold
BUTT ? Black Floss
BODY ? Flat Silver
RIB ? Embossed Silver
WING ? Yellow under White Bucktail with Natural Guinea Fowl over all
HEAD ? Black.

STEP 1
Attach the thread and tie in the gold for the tag.

Then wrap to form the tag.

STEP 2
Tie in the floss.

Then wrap to form the butt.

STEP 3
Tie in the embossed tinsel for the rib. The embossed I have is old and tarnished, so appears gold. I liked the effect though and decided to stick with it.

STEP 4
Take the thread in open spirals up, down and back up the body and tie the flat silver in. I criss-cross wrap like this because I varnish the body before wrapping the tinsel and the wraps give it something to key on.

Then varnish the body and wrap the tinsel over the wet varnish to the butt and back to the shoulder and tie off.

STEP 5
Follow with the rib.

STEP 6
Tie in the yellow bucktail all round.

STEP 7
Trim the butts then tie in the white bucktail and trim these also. By varying the ratio between the yellow and white bucktail you can alter the appearance of this fly.

STEP 8
Tie in the hackle by its tip.

Then wrap it, sweeping the fibres back as you go.

STEP 9
Form a neat head, whipfinish and varnish for the completed fly.

To finish everything off, slip on a piece of silicon tubing to hold your chosen hook. You can use clear or black or, as I have done here, a yellow tubing.

Go To Front Page