News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Muddle May

Started by scotfly, February 23, 2008, 06:29:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scotfly

This fly is from Al Beatty. He wanted a fly that floated like a Humpy, but still had the slender profile of a mayfly.
This is his answer. I would describe it as a muddle headed wonder winged haystack, but I think muddle may trips off the tongue a little easier.
As always, alter the colours to suit.

Instructions assume right-handed tyers

HOOK ? Dry Fly 10
THREAD ? Grey 6/0
TAILS ? Moose
BODY ? Adams Grey Beaver
WING ? Wonder Wing
COLLAR ? Deer Hair
HEAD ? Deer Hair

STEP 1
Attach the thread, wrap to the bend and back to mid-shank.

STEP 2
Mount the tails. These should be a little slimmer and a little longer than normal.

STEP 3
Tie in the Deer Hair collar.

STEP 4
Prepare the wonder wing by taking a hackle. The ones from the top of the cape are best for this. Strip a few fibres away to expose the stem.

Snip the stem at the base of the upperfibres and you will be left with a hackle like this.

Sweep the fibres down as shown.

Do the same with a second hackle and place them back to back curving away from each other. Leave the tips on, you can use these as handles later.

Then tie them in as shown. A couple of points to note. 1 ? You tie them in by the hackle fibres, the stem is not tied in. 2 ? Note there is a gap between the wings and the collar.

STEP 5
Wrap the thread to the tail and apply a pinch of dubbing to the thread.

Then wrap to the base of the collar to form the body.

STEP 6
Lift the collar up and build a taper in front of it with the thread to hold it up.

STEP 7
Tie in and flare the muddler head.

If necessary you can add a second bunch of deer hair.

STEP 8
Whipfinish and detach the thread. Then trim the muddler head to shape. This is where the little handles on the wonder wing come in handy.

STEP 9
Finally trim the tips off the wonder wing, then manipulate the collar hair to flair it through 180 degrees for the finished fly.

just_steven

Nice SBS Scotfly!

Thats the 1st time I've seen a wing made like that, and it looks pretty good.
Would you say that it's better/easier than the regular upwing technique, using feather slips?
Do you have a prefered method for your upwing dries or do you tend to stick to what the original pattern asks for?

Steve

scotfly

It is easier to tie than traditional wing slips, whether it is better or not I can't say, I've never fished with one.... Yet! Infact, that fly is the first wonder wing I've every tied.... So it's an easy technique.
If I'm tying a specific pattern I'll normally use what the pattern stipulates or similar, but I'd say probably 90% of my up-wing dries are either deer/elk hair or CDC. Simple to tie and most importantly, durable.
I intend this year to tie a few wonder/wally/step-over type wings to see how they compare for effectiveness and durability.

Go To Front Page