News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Copper John

Started by scotfly, March 25, 2008, 01:02:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scotfly

Initially designed by John Barr in 1993. He states it went through several design changes over three years before he considered it finished. The fly was originally designed to be a quick sinking attractor nymph to be fished under a foam hopper with a more natural looking pattern trailing behind it. The idea being that the fish would be attracted to the bright fly, but would take the more natural fly trailing behind. He quickly found though that the Copper John became an effective pattern in its own right! There are many variations both in colour and pattern, including the Rubber Legged Copper John and the Jumbo John. This step by step, with a couple of minor differences, is the original Copper John.
The minor variations are the hook, I have used a standard shank wet fly hook, Barr states the TMC5262.
The legs, I have used a natural brown hen hackle, Barr states mottled brown hen back.

Instructions assume right-handed tyers.

HOOK ? Wet Fly 12 ? 22
THREAD ? Black
BEAD ? Gold Bead
WEIGHT ? Lead Wire
TAILS ? Brown Biots
BODY ? Copper Wire
THORAX COVER ? Black Thin Skin and Pearl Flashabou (covered with epoxy)
THORAX - Peacock Herl
LEGS ? Natural Brown Hen

STEP 1
Place a gold bead on the hook then make 11 turns of lead wire.

Then slide the lead wire along the hook shank and into the recess in the gold bead.

STEP 2
Attach the thread and form a taper from the lead wire to the tail.

STEP 3
Tie two Biots in back to back so that they curve away from each other.

Wrap over the waste ends taking them up onto the lead wire, then trim.

STEP 4
Tie the copper wire in on top of the hook at the thorax. Trap it down by taking the thread to the tail and back to the thorax.

Then wrap in touching turns to form the body.

STEP 5
Tie in one strand of Flashabou on top and in the centre.

STEP 6
Cut a strip of Thin Skin (aka Nymph Skin, etc) and tie in on top of the hook.

STEP 7
Tie in the peacock Herl. (5 strands here)

Then wrap and tie off behind the gold bead to form the body.

STEP 8
Prepare a hen hackle as shown.

Then tie it in so that one side of the ?V? shown goes on either side of the thorax.

STEP 9
Pull the Thin Skin over, tie down and trim waste.

Followed by the single strand of Flashabou which should be in the centre.

STEP 10
Whipfinish and detach the thread.

STEP 11
Finally, apply a coat of epoxy to the thorax cover, taking some of the epoxy onto the gold bead and the end of the body for the completed fly.

haresear

A great step by step Scotfly. Thanks.

Alex
Protect the edge.

just_steven

Very nice Scotfly!  8)

I like the look of that one!

Steve

Crawhin

Beautiful looking Bug that Scotfly - hard to see how it wouldn't catch plonked into a trout holding pool. Must try it this season. 

Ian

fredaevans

Two excellent variations on the theme (here anyway) is substitute either red or a light chartreuse for the copper.

Harpo

Great looking fly, even my wife was impressed by the SBS...especially when I showed her the size of the hooks used...either that or she was just humouring me !

I saw Paul Young on his Fishing Road Trip USA programme the other day catching some Landlocked Sea Trout (whatever they are  :?) on a Copper John

Cheers

Go To Front Page