News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Tiny Adult Down Wing Midge

Started by scotfly, April 17, 2008, 10:20:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scotfly

When tying small flies it is best to keep things as simple as possible. Unless of course you are a masochist or your name is Hans Weilenmann!
This is a fairly simple pattern to tie in small sizes, utilising a minimum of materials and simple tying techniques.

Instructions assume right-handed tyers.

HOOK ? Varivas 2300 #30
THREAD ? Yellow and Black Gudebrod 10/0
BODY ? Yellow Gudebrod 10/0
WING ? Cream CDC
HEAD ? Black Gudebrod 10/0

STEP 1
Attach the yellow thread and wrap to the bend and back to form the body. Whipfinish and detach the thread.
*nb. The black at the head here was a blemish on the thread.

STEP 2
Attach the black thread.

STEP 3
Tie in a single CDC feather.

STEP 4
Make two or at most three turns of thread under the CDC butts to lift them up.

STEP 5
Whipfinish the thread, then trim the butts of the CDC as shown and varnish for the completed fly.

Clan Ford

Yep, looks a great wee smut pattern - one for them WoL troots 8)

Norm

scotfly

Quote from: Ardbeg on April 17, 2008, 11:36:01 PM
Do you need a different vice for the really wee hooks Scotfly?

One of the features of the LAW vice is hook access, so you can use it whether you're tying a 10/0 or a 30. No adjustment or add-ons needed.

just_steven

Good job again Scotfly!

Looks pretty good if you're fishing for matches!  :D

I really must try tying some of these tiny jobs!
I bet you could almost count the thread wraps on both hands for this one.
What size of leader do you need to use to be able to tie these on?

Steve

scotfly

You should make every turn of thread count when tying, this is especially important with micro flies.
I'll probably have to go down to a 2lb tippet on my 2 weight rod.

.D.

Quote from: scotfly on April 18, 2008, 05:13:55 PM
You should make every turn of thread count when tying, this is especially important with micro flies.

On that note, you could tie the whole fly with the pale thread, and simply stain the hanging thread with a black marker (running your finger down the thread to remove any excess, to avoid any bleeding of colour) after completing the abdomen. That might obviate the need to whip finish twice. Just a thought.

scotfly

Quote from: .D. on April 18, 2008, 07:04:45 PM
On that note, you could tie the whole fly with the pale thread, and simply stain the hanging thread with a black marker (running your finger down the thread to remove any excess, to avoid any bleeding of colour) after completing the abdomen. That might obviate the need to whip finish twice. Just a thought.

A trick I often use .D., but for some reason didn't occur to me when doing this fly.  :oops:

Go To Front Page