News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Oliver Edwards Shrimp

Started by scotfly, May 08, 2008, 09:30:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scotfly

The final one in the shrimp trilogy and as shrimps go I think this one from Oliver Edwards is among the best. A fairly easy tie, apart from those damn legs! I have always had problems with them until I hit on the idea shown below.

Instructions assume right-handed tyers

HOOK ? Kamasan B110 #12
THREAD ? Grey Roman Moser Power Silk
WEIGHT ? Adhesive Flat Lead Foil
TAIL ? Brown Partridge
RIB ? Clear Nylon
BACK ? Clear Flexi-Body
BODY ? Hare?s Mask
LEGS ? Brown Partridge.

STEP 1
Mount the hook and wrap on the lead foil. Then cover with criss cross wraps of thread.

STEP 2
Select a small bunch of Partridge fibres and tie in on top of the shank and well round the bend.

STEP 3
Nibble the end of the nylon.

Then tie in on the far side of the hook.

STEP 4
Take your Flexi-Body and leaving the backing on cut it into a lozenge shape.

Peel it off the backing and tie in on top of the hook shank, taking the thread back to the shoulder.

STEP 5
Apply a generous pinch of dubbing and wrap towards the tail to form the body.

STEP 6
Now we come to the legs. It is best for this method if you get your partridge hackles from the skin, it?s much easier to get them all the same size.
I?ve taken mine from a hen skin which is darker than the cock bird.

Pluck out four feathers of equal size and strip all the waste flue from the base.

Then stroke the fibres back to right angles to the stem and cut off the tip and the bottom of the hackle stem. You will be left with four feather like this.

Place all four feather on a MP Magic tool. Try to get the stems of each sitting in line with the clamp opening.

Use a length of fine wire and pull all the feathers down into the clamp.

Then grip them in the other clamp and transfer.

Finally trim the feathers as shown.

That?s your legs now ready.

STEP 7
Form a split thread loop, then insert the preformed legs in and spin.

Then wrap in an open spiral and tie off at the head. If you find you?re short of legs simply allow the thread to unwrap and form another loop and insert some more legs.

STEP 8
Pull/stroke all the partridge fibres down then pull the back material over and tie down at the head.

STEP 9
Follow with the rib and tie down at the head. For extra security I tie the nylon down then fold it back and tie over it again.

STEP 10
This step is optional. If you need more legs simply tie in a small bunch of hackle fibres over the eye.

Then divide then and fold back towards the body and tie down.

STEP 11
Finally whipfinish and varnish for the completed fly.

superscot

Bloody work of art ......... :D :D :D

Go To Front Page