News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Snipe and Purple and Purple F Fly

Started by piscatus absentis, May 28, 2008, 07:08:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

piscatus absentis

One of the Brians asked for a sample of my Snipe and Purple.  On the way Brian.

I?ve done a rudimentary step by step to show how I tie them.  The technique is the same in both cases ? only the feathers and the length of the body differs.

Picture one shows the thread run on and then the feathers tied in facing forward.  I do exactly the same for the spider using some fibres stripped from the feather.  I also use this for other spiders and it can use up some of those long feathers at the top of a cape that usually get thrown away.

Picture 2 shows that only thread is used for the body.  For the F Fly take it round the bend but for the spider stop opposite the barb.

Picture 3 shows the thread taken back up to the eye.  Stroke the fibres back and tie off except, for the F Fly, I take a turn or two behind the wing to make it stand up.

Picture 4 is the completed F Fly.  I get my CDC from a shooter and sometimes the quality is a bit iffy.  If the fly sinks first cast throw it away, it will never float.  All that is lost is the price of a hook.

Picture 5 shows the F Fly and spider.  Grotty but effective and easy to tie.  These are 14s but often 16s work better.  I prefer a curved hook even for spiders and find the it gives better hooking.   

Clan Ford

Go To Front Page