News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Brown Sedge Step-by-step

Started by Hans, June 25, 2008, 11:28:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hans

I know, it's been a long time since I posted a s-b-s, but fir some weird reason I could not post pics anymore with my new PC.
But here we go again, a new pattern from my vise that has been successfully tested in a German trout-stream recently.
Take a dry-fly hook and tie the thread on the shank, with a wee hump behind the eye as shown in the first picture. This is to prevend the hair to slide down the shank.
Use a stacker to even the tips of a bunch of deer-hair and tie it on the hook as shown in the second pic.
In wide turns bring the thread to the bend of the hook (picture 3)
Picture 4 shows how the thread is brought back to the point behind the eye.
Form a loop with a dubbing-twister and put some rough dubbing inside this loop.(pic 5)
Twist the twister (pict 6)
and form a thorax with the dubbing as shown in picture 7.
Fold the deer-hair over the thorax and secure with a few tutns of the thread and whip-finish.
Another whip-finish behind the eye completes this very well floating fly.
A few wee drops of head cement on the knots will increase the durability of this fly.
Good luck.
Hans

Hans

Liky you said, easy fly to tie, but mind the little hump, it will cause a lot of frustration if you forget it.... :D
Cheers.

superscot

scotfly

Hans, Nice sbs and funnily enough a similar wing/head technique to an emerger sbs I have just completed. The only difference, and something you may want to try, is that the deer hair is tied tight up to the eye which means you only have to do one whipfinish.

scotfly

Sounds like it is too brittle GC. Are you using a bleached hair?
Try Coastal Deer or Texas Whitetail or Bull Elk, any one of those three types will be good for this type of fly.

Go To Front Page