News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Baetis Nymph

Started by scotfly, August 19, 2008, 11:16:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scotfly

I?ve been playing around a bit with Nymph-Head beads. (http://www.flytyingboutique.com/Store/results.asp?category=2) This one is a simple baetis type nymph. You can of course alter the colours and size to suit whichever nymph you like. It has only had one outing so far, but it did catch!
Although I have used Nymph-Head beads here, you can if you wish use ordinary beads.

Instructions assume right-handed tyers

HOOK ? Tiemco 5262 #16
BEAD ? Nymph-Head Black Bead
TAILS ? Short Brown Partridge
BODY ? SLF MC#1 Baetis Brown/Olive
RIB ? Gold Wire
THORAX ? Peacock Herl
LEGS ? Brown Partridge
THORAX COVER ? Pheasant Tail
EYES ? Orange Tulip Paint

STEP 1
Slide the bead onto the hook, then into the vice with it and attach the thread. If you want you can build a base for the bead first, I don?t (normally) instead I add a spot of Superglue after the fly is tied to hold the bead in place.

STEP 2
Tie in a few partridge fibres for the tail.

STEP 3
Tie in the wire for the rib.

STEP 4
Apply a pinch of dubbing to the thread and wrap to form the body.

STEP 5
Follow with the rib and tie off.

STEP 6
Tie in a few pheasant tail fibres for the thorax cover.

STEP 7
Tie in peacock herl fibres for the thorax.

STEP 8
Wrap the peacock herl to form the thorax and tie off.

STEP 9
Tie in a small bunch of partridge hackle fibres on each side of the thorax to represent legs.

STEP 10
Pull the pheasant tail fibres over and tie down to form the thorax cover.

STEP 11
Whipfinish and detach the thread. Make sure the eyes are in the correct position, then apply a tiny spot of superglue to hold the bead in place.

STEP 12
I?ve been experimenting with different mediums for the eyes, permanent marker pen, paint, varnish, etc. On this one I have tried Tulip T-shirt paint which has proved quite durable.

Using a cocktail stick with the point cut of apply a touch of paint to each eye.

Finally, varnish the whippings for the completed fly.

haresear

Nice looking fly Scotfly, although I think the eyes will wear off in short order, what with it bumping the bottom.

Still, a nice fly.

Alex

Protect the edge.

sandyborthwick

I quite fancy that one in my box Scotfly, will have to ahve a go at a few.

Sandy B.O.

scotfly

Quote from: haresear on August 19, 2008, 11:20:59 PM
Nice looking fly Scotfly, although I think the eyes will wear off in short order, what with it bumping the bottom.

Still, a nice fly.

Alex

Alex,
      that is a concern of mine too, but on it's only outing so far I fished it for two or three hours on the Welsh Dee and the eyes held up fine.

Go To Front Page