News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Shucking Dark Olive

Started by scotfly, December 21, 2008, 11:51:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scotfly

This is another one using seal’s fur for the shuck. This time a bit larger and darker to represent a dark olive. I’ve tied this one in a different style to the Shucking Palewatery Why? Because I wanted to and I can! It also shows you that many paths lead to the same destination (metaphorically speaking)
The quill used here is from a packet I bought at BFFI after Niklas told me about them; they're up to 13 inches long! Some one has some mighty big Peacocks. The dubbing is some more of wcbflytying's range. This time it's his "easy dub" a fine textured polypropylene dubbing. I've found it good for medium sized dries and nymphs.

For the wing post I've used Lemon Wooduck for its more natural appearance.

Instructions assume right-handed tyers.

HOOK - Partridge Oliver Edwards Emerger #20
THREAD - Spiderweb
SHUCK - Fiery Brown Seal's Fur
BODY - Stripped Peacock Herl (varnished)
WING POST -Lemon Wooduck
HACKLE - Grizzle Dyed Olive
THORAX - Brown Easy Dub

STEP 1
Attach the thread.

Continue wrapping round the bend, catching in a few Seal's Fur fibres as you go.

STEP 2
Tie in the herl for the body. Take the thread to the position shown.

STEP 3
Wind the herl in touching turns and tie off.

Then varnish the body and allow to dry.

I normally tie a few flies up to the body stage and varnish them all at once. You can if you wish also use Superglue.

STEP 4
Prepare the Lemon Wooduck for the post by stroking the excess fibres back out of the way, leaving enough fibres for the post.

STEP 5
Tie the post on top of the hook with a couple of firm but not too tight wraps.

You can now pull the fibres back to the correct length.

Once you are happy with the post, make a few tight wraps to secure and trim the waste.

Lift the post up and make a few wrap in front to hold it in position.

And finally a couple of wraps round it.

STEP 6
Tie in the hackle.

As with the Shucking Palewatery, I bind the hackle to the post with a couple of thread wraps.

STEP 7
Apply a pinch of dubbing to the thread and wrap to form the thoracic area.

Don't forget to do a couple of figure-of-eight wraps under the hook below the post to ensure there are no gaps.

STEP 8
Wrap the hackle. I drape the final turn over the hook as shown, sweeping back the parachute hackle I then tie it off.

STEP 9
Trim the waste and make a whipfinish.

STEP 10
Finally, tidy up the hackle and varnish for the completed fly. On smaller parachutes I generally invert the fly and varnish the underside only.

The completed fly.

River Chatter

Go To Front Page