News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What's Your Strangest Catch

Started by hopper, December 09, 2012, 09:58:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hopper

Many year back when i were a lad i was out fishing on The Luther water at the Dowrie pool with a bunch of worms under the supervision of one of the senior members. The Dowrie came in at that time at right angles to the flow of the Luther and cause a big circular flow in the pool, the season was wearing on and the evenings were short and darkness came down quickly.
The worms were cast time after time with the small trout rattling them but it was the larger silver cousins we were after, the rod started to draw that long slow heavy pull you get, i strike and we are into something heavy it stayed deep but kept on taking line and using the current, now and then in the 20 minute struggle with the light fading we would get a flash of silver just below the surface but never saw the fish right only the glimpse, another 10 minutes passed and i was getting the better of it and Isaac was ready with the net i got it into the quiet back water to be netted when we realised that the big salmon i had been playing for the last half hour was infact a white plastic fertilise bag half full of tattie gutted or what.
Isaac is has been gone for a number of years but alway spoke of that night of the strangest catch we were ever likely to have.

what's yours ?

Wildfisher

:D  Cracker Eric.

Were they Edzell  Blues?    :lol:

hopper

A wet potato best mashed   :lol:

harelug

One of my mates had a long and interesting tussle one day with what eventuall turned out to be a large fishing brolly, hooked at the "handle" end so everytime he applied pressure it opened up to resist his efforts.
There is no greater
  fan of fly fishing

Than the worm

Malcolm

About 15 years ago a friend of mine caught a pack of sausages spinning for sea trout at the mouth of the River Inver just off the wall behind the Petrol station/Coop Car Park in Lochinver!I once had a freshwater mollusc clamped around a fly. It must have been open and the fly landed on it prompting it to close.
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Guddler

A friend once battled a skate in a strong tidal run for over 30mins, seeing the beast below the boat a couple of times before eventually landing a gaping salmon feed bag.  :lol:

I'm not sure if the catch or the gear is the oddest in this pic!

[attachimg=1]

and I know i've posted this one before but it was on the fly.....

[attachimg=2]

Wildfisher

I once caught a troot on a Peter Ross. That really struck  me as strange.  :lol:

Highlander

Ah. Mallard duck on the Ythan, a small bucket hooked by the handle on the Leven at night & on the Endrick I played a strand of  weed cover barbed wire for a few minutes thinking it was a Salmon.
Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Wildfisher

Up at The Crask once I lassoed  a meadow pipit on The Tirry.  It was on the backcast. The leader must have hit it,  the heavy bead head nymph swung round like a bolas and the leader twisted round the unfortunate pipit. I simply unwound it and it flew off. No hooks involved. In retrospect it's probably one of the most interesting things that has ever happened there.  :lol:

Wildfisher

Quote from: guest on December 10, 2012, 06:50:17 PM
I imagine there are many strange things you could catch at the Crask :D

Don't even go there!   :lol:

Go To Front Page