News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Scottish lochs-fly patterns

Started by oxo, November 28, 2003, 10:56:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oxo

What about scottish lochs fly patterns page
Here's an excellent bob fly I made myself that works well on dull and bright days as long as there is is a good choppy surface on the loch.
Hook: 10-14
Tail: daylight fluo red
Body: gold lurex
Body Hackle: Red game cock
Rib: fine gold wire
Head Hackle: Red game cock tied in first and then a couple of turns of Guinea fowl hackle fibres.

Wildfisher

:idea:

Welcome to the  forum  Oxo,  many thanks for visiting the site and signing the guestbook.  Yes, I think that is a great idea. I am thinking about a ?patterns page?, perhaps even with some photos. I?ll do that as soon as I can.  In the meantime, I?ll add a new page to this forum especially for loch flies (and one for rivers) as you suggest.  Good stuff, keep posting!

One fly that did very well for the wild trout,   for both myself and my regular fishing pal this past season was the pearly black pennel in size 12 and 14.  There was one in a Trout and Salmon magazine freebee in the spring and it sat in my box unused until September. I wish I had tried it earlier as it caught a lot of fish on Loch na Bo and on Lochindorb  as well as some other places.

Hook: 12-14
Tail: golden pheasant tippets
Body: silver pearly lurex
Rib: fine silver wire (just for strength)
Hackle: Black Hen

Simple but effective. Leave off the tail and you have got a pearly black spider which apparently is equally good!

Cheers

Fred

Wildfisher

:?:

Allan, I put the fine silver wire rib on just to extend the life of the fly as I find  that the pearl lurex rips off after a few fish. Do you think it makes a difference to the fish catching properties if the wire rib is there or not?  If it does what else could be done to extend the life in place of the rib?

Cheers Fred

Wildfisher

Hamish,

Thanks for that. Yes,  you are of course right. I really will have to attend one of these Haddo fly sessions, worth it just for the social  aspect and the banter I hear.   :)   I also believe  that Mike B.  makes a really grand  cup of tea into the bargain, the kettle is never off it seems   :D .  My pal John who you met at the ?dapping evening? also ties his palmer hackles as you do, I tend to wind them the other way and hold then in place with the rib. It makes sense, I think, that your method would be stronger as they are tied at both ends with the rib providing extra strength.

I?ll try that super glue trick too, perhaps put a wee bit under the lurex when I tie these pearly spiders.

If I put enough on,  maybe I?ll lose less fish. God, what am I saying? Now I?m trying to  glue the buggers on!    :lol:

Thanks for visiting the site by the way, keep posting!

All the best Fred

Wildfisher

Allan,  You certainly have a point there. Often it?s the most tatty, chewed-up flies that take the fish. Actually one of the most common problems with shop bought flies is they are too heavily dressed. Especially  for river use and need a good  ?chew? before you use them.

Pearly Invicta

Pearly Invicta, Pearly Pennels- fished them all last season and now I've started usining Pearly PTNs and Hares Lugs! I've become addicted to pearly flees. Luckily, so have the troots.
Pearly pennel was my most succesful flee last year- seems to do well in very clear water.

Wildfisher

Pearly Invicta,

You are right there mate! These pearly flies are some fish takers. I have been doing some experiments just adding a bit of pearly / holographic tinsel  to other flies and it definitely does the trick on its day. Last week at Lochindorb, the pearly black pennel wsa the best fly by far. I reckon it is the pearly / holographic cheeks that makes Stan Headley?s  ?  hogs such good fish takers.

breac

We call this one the Mauler, I was given one from an old boy from Monifieth, who I had out fishing , therewas no name mentioned
Tail;tippets
Body;peacock herl
Hackles:one red game & One Black back to back and palmered
rib:oval silver
wing; Magpie center tail
Hooksize 10 Or 12
it fishes well on the top dropper
We called it so because it has taken a few fish over the years I use it on a cast with Invicta point and claret bumble middle
also tie a Zulu with a Purple Hackle in front instead of a blue one it works well up here, thats one of me own,breac :wink:

Wildfisher

Breac ,

What colour is magpie centre  tail and how is it tied in?

Wildfisher

Quote from: pocamanR***bow  

No bad language here please pocaman,  there are sensitive souls about!   :lol:

Go To Front Page