News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Scottish lochs-fly patterns

Started by oxo, November 28, 2003, 10:56:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

breac

Its a sort of blue,black green metallic colour and 2 slips are tied in for wings similar to butcher wings but this strange bluey blacky green I gave some to pocaman and other friends and they all catch fish on it,
Heres another one of my own that works
Tail:Topping
Body: Claret Dyed peacock herl
rib: oval silver
hackle: Claret Cock 3 turns
fore hackle: 2 turns of" hen de leon" in front
fished on the point works well in some of our lochs, Breac :wink:

Wildfisher

what on earth  is hen de leon ?    :lol:

a hen fae leon ?  :lol:

what colour is it?  :?

On a light  note : this   brings to mind some of these patterns in the fishing magazines  e.g.

The Money-Spinner :

Tail : three strands of wild Nepalese pheasant tail.
Body : lightly dubbed  Outer Mongolian crag goat underbelly
Rib : Gold plated oval titanium wire.
Hackle : Dodo wing coverlet.
Wing : Great Auk primary.

With a foot-note that all these materials   while hard to get cannot be substituted by anything  similar or the effect is totally  lost, however, all   are available at vast expense from the author. Apparently  that new fly fishing magazine that came out last year is particularly bad for this.

Signed a cynical old bastard.   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Wildfisher

Thanks for that Steve, I believe I have something similar.

Wildfisher

This photo was supplied by pocaman (Steve)

The Morning Hatch

Breac?s Maulers are at the top of the picture

The bottom flies use hen de leon

Pearly Invicta

Apparently  that new fly fishing magazine that came out last year is particularly bad for this.

It is. I bought a great plastic carrier bag at  the game fair last year for a pound. Imagine my disappointment when I got home and found a copy of Total Flyfishing inside.

breac

evidently The leon series of flies have been tied in Espana for many years I got the chance of the cape from Lakeland Fly fishing, Pocaman & I do abit of swapping,  I have been a fly  tyer for about 40 yrs and used to grow me own capes, so I am really taken by a lot of the new Feathers and
capes on the Market, I used to buy special capes from a bloke near Edinburgh called Frank Elder who was one of the first selective breeders,
wrote a book called the" book of the hackle",he sold some super iron blue capes and the best Coch-y-bondhu capes I ever saw, but he couldn't get a cape like the hoffman capes, Those were the days,  but I think we have a wider choice now, and better hooks, 8)  Breac

breac

As a rider to "the money spinner" I have a pal who has some hair  reputed to be from a lions scrotum, he is looking for a suitable pattern to use it on, :lol: Breac

breac

I think that pal of mine with the lion hair was trying to get the scrotum for a cast wallet, Now thers a conversation stopper :D Breac

Go To Front Page