News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

#5 rods advice.

Started by Clan Chief, August 21, 2021, 06:44:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clan Chief

I'm looking at getting a #5 weight rod. Something in the £150 ish range. For loch work.
Any advice, opinions and pointers would be much appreciated.

Bobfly

Look at Taniwha for a 9ft 5wt. They are on the Etsy website.
Snowbee Diamond rods are worth a look too.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

arawa

If you can find one secondhand or on sale, an Orvis Clearwater might be in budget. Two friends have them and are very happy. I have tried them and they cast very well.

Hill loch gold

i used a 9ft #5 daiwa  lexa for a couple of years and thought it was a great wee rod. They were on sale at GAC a while back, i know my mate bought 1 from there.

bluezulu

Can vouch for the Orvis Clearwater as I have one I like.

Try eBay - occasionally see some real bargains

caorach

I've been getting on just fine with my Shakespeare Agility 2 rod, mine is an 11 foot 7 weight but they do a 10 foot 5 weight or an 11 foot 6 weight. They are about £70 leaving you money in the budget for fishing :-)

If you can get a 2nd hand Leeda Volare IV (I don't think they are made any more) then they are well worth picking up for loch fishing as I have the 7 weight and 4 weight versions in 11 foot and love them. At the end of the line some places sold them off for something like £30 so you might be able to pay very little for one.

Clan Chief

Thanks guys! I've opted for the Snowbee Diamond 2 as mentioned. It arrived today. Looks good but will give a better opinion once ive used it!

Go To Front Page