News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Do something useful

Started by Wildfisher, April 20, 2020, 02:41:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laxdale

Quote from: admin on April 21, 2020, 02:56:47 PM
As far as getting back to fishing goes  it would be better phased in. Common sense would  dictate  that last on the list should anything that requires guides or ghillies,  comes with accommodation like lodges, hotels etc, boat fishing,  small fisheries and the like.   In short anything that by definition brings people into contact has to be last back and probably best delayed until 2021.

It can be done, just no boats, huts or sitting on benches,and the ghillie just direct operations and nets fish.
Accommodation and travelling are the problems, aside from age restrictions.

ianmck

Quote from: Laxdale on April 21, 2020, 03:27:23 PM
I challenged Davy if what he said was true...I did a copy and paste and challenged him.
The response -
  Gordon Mackenzie not quite, this area is to the right of the Greenside within the yellow line and the red is the bit that looks to be still burning. This area has large patches of replanted native trees, zero grazing and zero management. The response came with a map, and areas in question marked.

Fair enough. I am only going by the news report that said it was on cochno road and was started at a reservoir. If it's not the greenside, then it surely must be at jaw/cochno loch. There is some native replanted woodland to the south of here but it is right beside several farms. Plenty of sheep and cow grazing.

https://www.gla.ac.uk/schools/vet/scottishcentreforproductionanimalhealthfoodsafety/cochnofarmandresearchcentre/

Quite a lot of land management actually.

Perhaps it has been misreported. Maybe fergie can shed some light on the actual location?

Wildfisher

Quote from: Laxdale on April 21, 2020, 03:29:18 PM
just direct operations and nets fish.

So, all he'll  need is a loudhailer and a very long handled landing net.  Can't see that doing much for the ambience.   :lol:

Laxdale

Quote from: ianmck on April 21, 2020, 04:05:29 PM
Fair enough. I am only going by the news report that said it was on cochno road and was started at a reservoir. If it's not the greenside, then it surely must be at jaw/cochno loch. There is some native replanted woodland to the south of here but it is right beside several farms. Plenty of sheep and cow grazing.

https://www.gla.ac.uk/schools/vet/scottishcentreforproductionanimalhealthfoodsafety/cochnofarmandresearchcentre/

Quite a lot of land management actually.

Perhaps it has been misreported. Maybe fergie can shed some light on the actual location?

He mentioned jaw yesterday. He does a lot in the area keeping crows, foxes, etc under control for the farmers. He has some funny stories about all the times the cops get called to him because "there is a scary man in the field with a gun".

ianmck

Quote from: Laxdale on April 21, 2020, 05:16:54 PM
He mentioned jaw yesterday. He does a lot in the area keeping crows, foxes, etc under control for the farmers. He has some funny stories about all the times the cops get called to him because "there is a scary man in the field with a gun".

:lol: There's quite a lot of vermin of a different kind infest the local woods. If only they could be shot as well.

Wildfisher

If this crisis has taught us anything about our leisure time it's to have more than one outdoor hobby you are passionate about. Anglers have been hit badly  by it,  walkers with a bit of imagination hardly at all and cyclists are pretty much  unaffected.  I'd like to get back fishing as much as anyone, but there are  options.  :D

fergie

I didn't take that pic but to me it looks like the jaw cochno area. Waterboard some farming and lots of Heather up that part plus the usual forestry. My side of the Kilpatrick Hills is untouched we have had a strong easterly wind for around a week now so it's pushing it west towards Dumbarton. Here's a pic from my area today.
[attachimg=1]

A mate of mine over in East Kilbride is getting a great view of it.
Chances are it's a piss up campfire that's went wrong or kids doing what kids do. But that wind and the dry conditions have made it a bit more spectacular this year.

fergie

That's still a fair amount of smoke. Very high winds forecast for tonight so I expect it will spread even more.

Wildfisher

Quote from: fergie on April 21, 2020, 07:22:49 PM
so it's pushing it west towards Dumbarton

Nae  great loss there then.  :lol:

Laxdale

I wonder who paid for the helicopter that was used to help fight the fire today.

Go To Front Page