News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Lines and weights

Started by Bob Wyatt, May 11, 2006, 06:10:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Wyatt

Swithun,
That's the spirit.  
BTW, what rod and line outfit are you using at the moment?

Bob Wyatt

Sounds like a good rod Swithun.  What line are you stringing on it?  A DT5? (This should probably go on your casting thread. )

Bob Wyatt

I'd forget about the financial advantage of swapping a DT end for end.  I'd suggest a DT5 for the fishing you seem to be most interested in.  Gives you far more control and permits mending line, switch and roll casts, which are essential for trout rivers.

You don't give much away in distance with a DT either, if anything.  If you want distance a long belly like the SA Expert Distance is better than a standard WF anyway.  In fact, if I was recommending a good allrounder, that would be the one.

haresear

QuoteIs a DT easier to cast? At the casting end aren't they in fact the same

Swithun,

Yes, to both questions. For short casts (within the head length) there is no difference. After all the line doesn't know what is left on the reel. :)
But,as Bob W. says, there is more scope with a DT for mending line and performing aerial mends at distance, longer roll casts etc. due to fact that that you can utilise (and aerialise) the greater mass of the line.
Protect the edge.

haresear

Swithun,

Yes, you have it sussed.
Aerial mends are a useful tool to enable your fly to be fishing properly from the instant it lands. The ability to do standard (from the water) mends is essential and will catch the man who can do it loads more fish.

Re what you say about fish refusing a fly that has dragged is and your following comment about resting the fish. Unless the fish actually spooks and stops rising, it more than likely will have inspected the fly and rejected it as being not worthy of further attention. Until it forgets..
You can rest the fish for a bit ( I usually wait until it is rising fairly steadily)and then try him again. Alternatively, try changing the fly for another pattern or size. By the time you do this he will have been rested and your new pattern will hopefully arouse his curiosity.
Protect the edge.

Go To Front Page