News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Whipping sounds when casting

Started by stephen_oconnor, July 21, 2006, 06:07:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stephen_oconnor

i seem to have a problem that on my backcast i am catching grass behind me and also on my forward cast i seem to hit the water a lot
also i cant get very straight lines out i always seem to get wavy lines. any ideas guys i am really stuck with this and it is a pain lol

stephen_oconnor

thanks a lot, i know it was maybe a stupid question about the backcast and forward cast lol, was just wondering if any1 knew where i could get casting lessons around glasgow?, for a decent price of course.
hopefully should be able to afford it wen i get a job which hopefully is sooner rather than later :lol:

rabbitangler

a whipcrack is the fly breaking the sound barrier, a bit like a bullwhip. try to let your back cast straighten out fully before you cast forward.
For 'backcast' insert 'upcast' try to aim you backcast high and aim to put the line out above the water as crocach says.
Alternatively go somewhere where there are no fish and cast with you rod flat horizontally, then you can watch the line, and the loops going back and forth. Then raise the plane of your cast till its overhead, the timing should stay the same only the angle changes

Clear as mud eh?? :?

Peter

You posted while I was writingthis steven, try the website for GAIA you'll have to google it, my computers playing up & I can't get to my bookmarks

stephen_oconnor

ok thanks a lot rabbit angler

stephen_oconnor

stephen_oconnor

any1 know where abouts howwood trout fishery is?

superscot

stephen have a look at the link to howood  fishery ......near the bottom of the page look for location and click on should bring up a road map !!

cheers

rabbitangler

Where exactly are you Stephen?

stephen_oconnor

i live in port glasgow, so if there is no instructors in inverclyde
which there probably is'nt i would probably have to travel to paisley or glasgow
i really want to learn how to cast properly as i still have'nt caught my first fish on the fly yet :oops:
so i think if i get the casting to a reasonable level i could then look at the fly's and have a better chance of catching one
also my club's fly only trip is coming up in september so i would like to be participating as it is also in loch ba which seems to be perfect for the fly

haresear

Stephen,

The closest instructor I know in your area is David Bell, over in Balloch or Dumbarton. He is mainly salmon orientated, but I am sure he could sort you out.
My best lesson was with Eoin Fairgrieve in the borders. I couldn't say enough good things about the guy.
Before I went to see him I had pretty much sorted out the double haul myself, but Eoin fine-tuned me and showed me the snake roll which has revolutionised my casting.
Protect the edge.

Go To Front Page