News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Tailing loop i.e wind knots

Started by Ardbeg, August 20, 2006, 12:20:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ardbeg

Ok, I get wind knots and don't really care too much about removing/replacing them.  I can't remember the last time I was broken due to wind knots (probably because i only catch wee troots).
However, I know I must have a wee problem in the casting department so......

I've a little understanding of the mechanics of tailing loops but could anybody explain it to me so that I can correct it?
The more answers the better, as everybody has their own explanation and one might make more sense than another.

Cheers

Ardbeg

Havtafish

Ardbeg

Try just a soft sweep of the rod to an quick/sharp stop on the forward cast. If your getting tailing loops your forcing it too much. The rod will load and throw the line. Try not to muscle it.

Thats the best way I can describe it.

rabbitangler

Are you letting line straighten out? Are you casting 'up' :D rather than 'back' :cry: ??
Have you seen an instructor??? :D

Wildfisher

Quote from: rabbitanglerHave you seen an instructor??? :D

Pete,

Where on earth would he find one?  :biglaugh;

rabbitangler

Wellllllll, theres one in montrose at least. Not touting for business honest.

Wildfisher

Quote from: rabbitanglerWellllllll, theres one in montrose at least. Not touting for business honest.

I know that, and even if you were it would not be a problem. It's Ardbegs own fault anyway. :lol:   Had he got his arse along to our outing at Haddo in April he would have had the free services of two instructors to choose from. Paul and Magnus. He is from Forfar though so one must make allowances.  :lol:

ChildOfTheMist

I could really do with some help from an instructor too.

My fishing is adequate - by that I mean, I can get a bit of line out and catch a fair few fish but I'm conscious of the fact I pick up knots, have the flies land in heaps sometimes and regularly see my line landing all squint and wiggly.

I generally stick to two flies at the most as tangles (no doubt caused by my poor technique) are common.

I'd be grateful for any recommendations in the Edinburgh area - although I don't mind travelling (when fishing is involved :wink: )

Any suggestions most welcome guys.

Daibhidh

Traditionalist

The most common reason for tailing loops, is allowing the wrist to "break" on the back cast. This allows the rod tip to dip below the so called SLP ( Straight Line Path) which it should be taking, and the line does exactly what the rod tip does, resulting in a tailing loop.

TL
MC

rabbitangler

Thought it was too jerky a cast and too much power, breaking your wrist opens the loop out surely

Traditionalist

Quote from: rabbitangler on March 03, 2007, 01:06:42 PM
Thought it was too jerky a cast and too much power, breaking your wrist opens the loop out surely

Anything which causes the rod tip to deviate from a straight line path will cause a tailing loop. Nevertheless, the most common cause is allowing the wrist to break on the back-cast. This is exacerbated by using long rods which exert greater leverage on the wrist.

Many people have trouble learning to lock their wrists, and this can also cause considerable pain.

Loop shape is dependent on the casting arc, irrespective of how that arc is obtained.

Jerky casting may also cause a tailing loop.  Power application is another matter entirely.

TL
MC

Go To Front Page