News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Lines and weights

Started by Traditionalist, February 27, 2007, 05:08:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Traditionalist

Quote from: haresear on February 27, 2007, 10:53:16 PM
I've just been Googling for some bricklayers twine. I'm not coming up with much. Just nylon.
Is this the stuff Mike?  http://www.pitchcare.com/shop/product.php?id=3187&option_id=4067

(I  :lol:don't expect I'll need that much :lol:)

Alex

That seems to be it. Try and get a 100 meter spool though. I doubt you will need more than that. 

TL
MC

sandyborthwick

A word of caution but I'm sure you guys have thought about this (doesn't it degrad with UV - had some which had been stored in the house even it breaks down) it becomes weakened by sunlight and is a bit chocolate frog in the desert sometimes.

Sandy B.O.

P.S. As an old ropes man from Navy Circles MMFs where always dodgy with sunlight, and acids. Probably best of the lot Terylene.

Traditionalist

Quote from: sandyborthwick on March 02, 2007, 11:48:24 AM
A word of caution but I'm sure you guys have thought about this (doesn't it degrad with UV - had some which had been stored in the house even it breaks down) it becomes weakened by sunlight and is a bit chocolate frog in the desert sometimes.

Sandy B.O.

P.S. As an old ropes man from Navy Circles MMFs where always dodgy with sunlight, and acids. Probably best of the lot Terylene.

The polyethylene bricklayers twine I use is not sensitive to UV or other light.  I have some which has been on reels for fifteen years, and seen very considerable use. It is just as good as new!  Indeed, slightly better, as it "softens" somewhat in use.

TL
MC

haresear

Why do reckon the polyethylene stuff is so superior to normal running line Mike?
Is it due to its softness or possibly because being uncoated, it is lighter? I ask because having had a look at some, it doesn't seem appreciably thinner than standard WF running line.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Traditionalist

Quote from: haresear on March 02, 2007, 01:47:30 PM
Why do reckon the polyethylene stuff is so superior to normal running line Mike?
Is it due to its softness or possibly because being uncoated, it is lighter? I ask because having had a look at some, it doesn't seem appreciably thinner than standard WF running line.

Alex

It floats intrinsically, it shoots extremely well, after a little use it handles extremely well ( it "softens" a little), it does not tend to tangle or knot,  it is more or less indestructible, it has a very high breaking strain, it is easily seen, ( usually green or bright orange), it is very cheap.

"Running line" is a term reserved for the integrated shooting line on a WF line.

Any line which is knotted or otherwise attached to a head is known as "shooting line".

The only real disadvantage to the twine, like any other hard braid, is that it wears rings out more quickly. Of course all rings wear, but they wear faster when using braid.  This is exacerbated when fishing the coast or other places where fine sand etc may be caught up in the braid.

TL
MC

Go To Front Page