News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Turnover

Started by nant_fisher, March 27, 2007, 08:55:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nant_fisher

I noticed the other day when out fishing that when i casted with wind behind me i was getting a proper good turnover but as soon as the breeze stopped my turnover went all to hell and my leader wasn't stretching out infront of my fly line but was folding back besided it. I changed my cast from three fly to two fly to see if this would help and it didn't and i tried different combinations of flys to see if there weights were contributing to this but that didn't help either.
Any tips on how to get it to work would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Robbie
Adventure time

haresear

Robbie,

Is this a problem you have been having generally, or was it just the other day?

Double hauling (just a wee haul, nothing too strenuous) is probably the cure for your ills, but sometimes the relationship between the flies on your cast can screw things up too.

A bushy fly on the tail, coupled with a slim fly on the bob, rarely turns over correctly. Reverse the positions and there is a big difference. It stands to reason that the bushy fly will not fire into the wind as far as a skinny fly.
Likewise, a tail fly should normally be the heavier of the two (probably denser is more accurate).

Another factor can be the type of leader you are using. Do you taper them?
I don't think it is essential to do so, but a tapered leader works better most of the time for me.

As I said earlier, a wee haul with the line hand is usually the right medicine, all other things being equal. More power with the line hand and you need less with the rod hand.

Alex
Protect the edge.

nant_fisher

Today was the first time i had really noticed it as it was consistent but i have had the problem on other days. I usually do fish with a slimmer/denser fly on the tail and a bushier one on the bob. I had a bandy cather on the tail and a bush bibio on the bob and it was still not working. I don't fish tapered leaders cause i'm to lazy to make them up.
Is the wee haul your talking about just pulling on the line as it shoots from the rod towards the water?

Cheers

Robbie
Adventure time

haresear

Robbie,

Sounds like Bandy Catcher's flies are your problem  :lol:(only kidding).

The double haul.
Basically, you pull some line down as you backcast, feed the line back up as the backcast staightens by allowing the line hand to drift back to the butt ring and pull the line down again on the forward cast. Simple really, but hard to get your head (and hand) round initially.

Sexyloops is the place to go for casting stuff...

http://www.sexyloops.com/flycasting/contents.shtml

Scroll down and there are some videos, some good and some mad.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Go To Front Page