News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Accommodation- what do you look for?

Started by Inchlaggan, May 18, 2013, 06:06:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inchlaggan

Hi Folks,
You are now part of a serious market survey!
What would you be looking for in accommodation for a fishing trip?
Take decent fishing as read.
We are talking about a hotel, bunkhouse or self-catering only, no campsite or B&B requirements please.
Bear in mind that prices will be set by market forces, so there is no point in looking for five star service at a one star price.
And this is Scotland.
Drying room or Sky Sports in the bar?
Whilst I am certain you will post some of your usual pish, and you'll guess what this is really about, but try to take it seriously.
There could be a subsidised stravaig in it for you!
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

Tweed

This might come across all city  :gay4, but cleanliness is right up there for me.

Spartan is fine with me - all I'm after a day on the hill is a bed and a roof over my head - but if the place is looks like it needs a good clean it puts me right off.  A decent set of black-out curtains is always welcome as well - I'm a light sleeper and the early light in the summer can be a right pain in the posterior.

Aside from that, a cosy bar with wholesome, reasonably priced food is always a winner. 

Oh, and a smile and being made to feel you're a valued customer is always good - I've stayed in too many places in the highlands where you're made to feel you're putting them out.  Only once in each one, mind.  Like people's houses, the ones where you felt welcome are the ones you back to!

sinbad

Flexibility, good humour  and decent grub. After that im happy , but yes a dry room way above sky sports and if they can do a decent pack lunch so much the better. Seems to be a food theme for me  :roll:

Wildfisher

Self Catering

Clean
Warm
Dog friendly
All appliances in working order.
Sufficient, crockery, cutlery, pots, pans, utensils
Absolutely no TV – nothing pisses me off more in company that someone insisting on watching  the X Factor when others are trying to be sociable or discuss fishing  and / or related subjects.
Heated Drying Room and / or tumble drier
Sufficient room to hang up  / store gear
Comfortable beds
Comfortable sitting / communal  area
Ample parking
No neds

Hotel

Clean
Warm
Dog friendly

No TV -  especially  in the bar
Heated Drying Room and / or tumble driers
Sufficient room to hang up  / store gear
Comfortable rooms
Good basic food at reasonable prices – after a day on the hills / fishing I want steak pie and chips or a large ashet of haggis neeps and tatties   not sautéed goose livers held in  baby Lochinver crab claws with sun-dried sultanas simmered in chateauneuf du pape and costing  £50 a throw.
Option of taking B&B only and eating in the bar rather than in the restaurant.
Nice comfy bar with good beer
A hotelier who fishes, appreciates and understands his fishing guests – John at the Forsnaird is a good example. Not always possible of course.
Table waiters with clean hands
No neds

I was tempted to put in a price range, but this is pointless as everyone will have different ideas about what's acceptable and most of us will have no idea of the costs of running these places – the owners must be able to make a profit because if they don't they won't be there in a year's time.

hopper

good home cooked food
a good power shower
a comfortable bed
and clean
a hearty breakfast

dislikes
if sharing a room a noisy sleeper (snoring bastards)
hot beer
neds running about the corridors at all hours of the night

corsican dave

small country hotel, friendly staff, real ales (keg, not bottled)  real fire, superb breakfast, decent bar menu (freshly cooked produce, no microwave crap). definitely drying room over tv, but a lively bar with locals makes for a good atmosphere. would some good live music be too much to ask? for example: allanton inn nr. duns

i've got no spare cash, but if i'm paying i'd rather have this than s/c, when i'd prefer to camp and have a decent inn nearby! examples: whatever the pub is next to the campsite at gairloch, plume of feathers at princetown
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Swifty1

Not fussy about decor but prefer less.
Comfy bed with clean cotton bedding.
Good Shower and warm bathroom.
Kettle,tea etc.
Pub nearby or on the premises.
Good food nearby or on premises.
Storage for gear etc.
Glass of decent wine as a bonus. 

aliferste

superscot

1.   Has to be a place with a bit of character

2.   Warm clean rooms with piping hot water be it shower /bath and available 24/7

3.   Preferred drying room for the odd wet day we  get in Scotland

4.   Good honest wholesome food and real ale as a bonus but Chemical beer will do suffice

5.   Fine selection of Scotland's finest malts to ponder over after a hard day on the loch /river

6.   Good company

7.   And a couple of Filipino female maids to rub you down with hot oil and warm stones  to relax you before supper  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

alancrob

Very much depends.

Am I alone or with a group?

First I want a good shower and a comfortable, clean bed. Food? Hot and fresh - no micro crap. It does not have to be fancy. Steak pie, fish and chips, lasgne etc.  Fresh cooked breakfast, not a buffet.

Decent beer. Although I appreciate smaller places cannot keep a wide range of real ales it is possible today to get decent bottles.

Sympathetic to fishing. Drying room. Flexible hours. I might want an early start or a late finish.

Anything else will depend on how much I am asked to pay.

Oh and is good if the boss has contacts and can get you access to the fishing.

If SWMBO is not with me then it is about the fishing and that will probably do.

A.

PS. It is OK if Fred's dug can stay.

Go To Front Page