News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Fiag Lodge

Started by superscot, October 07, 2014, 06:50:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

Quote from: Bobfly on October 12, 2014, 07:29:22 PM
I do not go ski-ing, but it is sort of similar.
I used to go skiing many years ago and that's a very good analogy. I have skied in Italy, Austria and Scotland.   Scottish skiing is fine, it can be good  for a  day trip and it's certainly better than nothing, but you would be nuts spending 1000s on a holiday. If it's whumper runs you're after you go to The Alps.  :8)

Inchlaggan

I cannot comment on the quality of NZ fishing, never having been there. But I can comment on the value for money aspects of this debate.
The NZ trip quoted comes out at £125 per day all in.
Fiag is £35, but add travel and food.
The castle is £227  all in, add travel, but you get guides, plus shooting.
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

Wildfisher

Quote from: guest on October 13, 2014, 07:15:19 PM
I'm thinking yoiu can get some of the best fishing in scotland for £16 night self catering - plenty room - permits about £10 or free on the wilder lochs.

Agreed. If it's just fishing you're after there is no need to pay these ridiculous prices. It's very poor value for money.

If you want to go slightly "up market"  hire Corriekinloch.  £400 divided by 5 =  £80 a head for 7 nights! Add another £20 or so to cover heating oil and electricity.  You will get access to far better waters  than your will get at Fiag Lodge.  CK is traditional, more like a proper Scottish lodge and less like an Ikea showroom. There is some pretty decent Scottish "standard"  trout fishing  comes with it and some above "standard" if you are prepared to walk and climb a bit. 

Stock up with food and ale at Tesco in Inverness. Sorted!  :8)

corsican dave

scourie hotel: £80/night, en-suite room with dinner, breakfast & fishing. and a bar with real ales. can't knock it!
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Wildfisher

It has to be all about the fishing for sure. Uninspiring pretty much sums up loch fishing anywhere for me these days and I've more or less abandoned highland fishing holidays, certainly for the time being. I'd be more inclined to head for the borders or over to the Clyde or Annan.

Part-time

Quote from: admin on October 12, 2014, 12:06:31 PM
I'm not knocking it John, just looking at  it realistically through non tartan tinted sunglasses   :lol:    It is second rate by international standards. It is fine for workaday angling, there is loads of it and I'm very gad to have it,  but  if  you are  thinking about spending the sums mentioned earlier in this thread you will get far better value going abroad and getting something special and memorable for your money.

I don't think many groups of international angling tourists will have a Scottish lodge on the shortlist along with NZ, BC, Patagonia etc  :lol: No matter the tints on my sunglasses though, I don't think Scottish (or any countries) fishing deserves to be described as second rate -  whether you stay in a lodge or a tent :)

Part-time

Quote from: admin on October 12, 2014, 07:51:49 PM
I used to go skiing many years ago and that's a very good analogy. I have skied in Italy, Austria and Scotland.   Scottish skiing is fine, it can be good  for a  day trip and it's certainly better than nothing, but you would be nuts spending 1000s on a holiday. If it's whumper runs you're after you go to The Alps.  :8)

But would you then call Scottish Skiing (or mountains/mountaineering for similar reasons) second rate :) 

corsican dave

Quote from: Part-time on October 14, 2014, 12:23:13 AM
I don't think many groups of international angling tourists will have a Scottish lodge on the shortlist along with NZ, BC, Patagonia etc  :lol: No matter the tints on my sunglasses though, I don't think Scottish (or any countries) fishing deserves to be described as second rate -  whether you stay in a lodge or a tent :)
completely agree with you John. a lot of negativity on here and, frankly i'm surprised at some of the comments. I thought the whole "wild fishing" thing was to do with being in fantastic places with beautiful scenery and maybe, just maybe the chance of a truly wild fish, no matter how big or how many. or how much you spend. the quality of that experience will depend on a number of factors, not the least being what you bring to it, whether as a companion to others or just in the tranquility of your own thoughts and observations.

If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Wildfisher

Quote from: Part-time on October 14, 2014, 12:27:30 AM
But would you then call Scottish Skiing (or mountains/mountaineering for similar reasons) second rate :)
Having skied in the Alps, been in the Southern Alps and The Himalayas, yes I would. This does not mean I don't like Scottish hills, skiing or fishing, its just I have no illusions about where they stand in the world order.

Few loved Scotland and the Scottish hills more than the late Tom Weir and few put it better than he did. He wrote that traveling to the great mountain ranges of the world allowed him to put Scotland into perspective.

corsican dave

here's one for you guys desperate to spend some wedge.....
http://www.flyfishdreamer.com/packages/helicopter

fiag lodge looks like a bargain now, eh?  :lol:

I could've gone to spain for two months for that....

Go To Front Page