News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Alt Bar At Ledmore

Started by Wildfisher, January 05, 2007, 11:17:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

Apparently last year's sales was not completed. It's still up for sale. The Rhiconich Hotel  is still up for sale too, a cool ? million (approx). Any takers before both end up as   holiday  homes for  rich home counties stockbrokers?

Wildfisher

I really wonder if these places have any future?  At close on ? million for the Rhiconich Hotel  it would be pretty hard to make enough profit  just  to service debt  even at current interest rates. What is really needed is a public buy out and for these places  to be run  as non profit making organisations  as a means to bring people into the area for the wider good. Land should also be taken by compulsory purchase from  absentee landowners (at REAL – not  "market"  prices – it's all reset stolen property anyway so  should perhaps be confiscated for the people) and made available for house building. Fat chance! The price of highland property has been driven up by demand from the said home county stock broker shower (just as it has in places like Cornwall). Once prices reach a   certain level it becomes impossible for the local economy to operate at all  and leads to a further downward spiral.  Perhaps a touch of Mugabe-ism but done intelligently is what is required.

haresear

The Alt seemed to be doing very well, before Eric sadly passed away.

The front extension certainly upped their seating capacity and there was plenty of local custom for meals at weekends, functions etc. as well as the anglers and the cavers, etc.

The lack of accommodation nearby would restrict the numbers of people who can drink in the place at night without driving afterwards.

I thought Richard Branson next door would have bought the place back and then sold the whole complex. He is trying to sell the motel units, but if he had the whole deal it would be more attractive to a potential buyer.

Re the Rhiconich. I've only bought a permit and had a pint or two in it, so am not qualified to comment.

Alex
Protect the edge.

bluezulu

Altnaharra hotel is still for sale too at a slash down bargain basement snip price of.....?700K 
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-12926507.rsp?pa_n=1&tr_t=buy

I do wonder whether its possible to make these places work as businesses. Scourie Hotel obviously does alright- seems to be booked solid for 5 or 6 months of the year- but it has a pretty unique set up and management ; i wonder how  Inchnadamph, Borgie or Ben Loyal fare.

How about a buyout by a  syndicate of enlightened fly fishing enghtusiasts...bankrolled by Swithun  :D :D :D

Malcolm

Quote from: Swithun on January 05, 2007, 11:23:18 AM
I just had ane state agent ring me to offer me a 3 bed terraced house, in a pretty ordinary road - for ?675k. 

Bloody Hell, you could get a decent flat in Glasgow's west end for not much more and just think how much nearer the lochs you'd be...oh and ane is very pleased to see see you're picking up the Lallans!
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

haresear

QuoteQuite like the idea of running a Highland bar though.  Presumably it's about 10 times more work than you imagine if you've never done it...

You presume corectly, Swithun.

Eric, the erstwhile owner of the Alt was forever hankering to get back out, to the hills and lochs which drew him to Assynt in the first place. We made tentative arrangements to get out together a few times, having used Eric's name to book boats, but to a publican time is just something you don't have in that situation, where you are far from provisions and banking.

I left Eric an old Orvis float tube in the hope that he could use it on Borralan in quieter moments. He never did get out to my knowledge.

As an aside, I do sincerely hope that whoever takes on The Alt, runs it in a similar way to Eric and Christine and doesn't just try to rip the arse out of people.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Wildfisher

For certain if you want free time don't go into catering or hospitality. I can't think of many things that would be more time consuming than running a bar. Not to mention deadly boring.

Dunkeld

Is the Alt closed again or operating but up for sale?

I'm sure the asking price last year was closer to ?250k. Last time I stayed there (after Eric but before Christine moved) it was fully booked on the Saturday evening, unfortunately I had to cut my holiday short and assumed that the sale had gone through. I did hear at the time that the new folk had someting to do with the dreadful Inchnadamph Hotel and thinking that this did not bode well.

Dunkeld

Anyone got any up to date info on the Alt. Assynt Anglers website still not clear whether they will handle permits/boats, however thhis has not been updated since December 06.

Cheers

doogs

I was up in Assynt last week and dropped by the Alt for a pint and some grub but it was deader than a dead thing - nobody about - apart from the troot.  It will be interesting to see how the Scourie Hotel gets on following Hancock's publicity.............

Go To Front Page