News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Dual Nymphs on Rivers

Started by haresear, August 09, 2008, 11:52:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

haresear

I don't remember anyone mentioning this method before. It produces a lot of fish for me, so I thought I'd share it.

I really only use this method when I don't expect fish to rise. In other words, when they have their heads down and this usually means early season or high water.

The rig is very simple. A relatively heavy nymph is tied on and another lighter and sometimes much smaller version is tied to the bend of the first nymph. If you use a Uni knot, you can chop and change the tail nymph very quickly and easily or remove it altogether.

Something like a Ryacophila or a tungsten head would be the depth charge and a PTN or the like on the end.

I find most fish take the lighter nymph, probably because it flutters in the current and reaches the fish first.

I fish this set-up under an indicator, which can be anything from a wisp of yarn to a foam indicator like a Fish Pimp, depending on the weight of the nymphs used.

Alex 
Protect the edge.

haresear

QuoteDo you think the hook up rate suffers on the heavier nymph because the second nymph is tied to the bend of the first?

I'm sure some fish must nose the line and push the nymph out of the way, but I seem to catch plenty, so maybe it is a "some you win, some you lose" job.

Like I say, I get more on the tail nymph, so any fish on the other one is a bonus.

The main reason I go for the NZ style of attachment is that I can chop and change the tail nymph with ease by simply opening up the Duncan loop (uni knot) and slipping another "ready to go" version on to the "top" nymph.

I don't always use this method. Sometimes I'll know I'm going to spend a lot of time in one area (usually when after grayling), so I know more or less the best set-up  to use in that particular area. In that case, I'll fish a standard dropper rather than an "in line" rig, because of the hooking issue. When I'm mobile, I prefer the "in-line" method for reasons described.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Malcolm

Alex,

That's the same setup I use for Czech nymphing, sometimes with two "bombs" but more often with a spider on the tail. The two flies are never more than a couple of feet apart. Strangely the tail fly alway outfiles the "bob"(!) whether using two heavies or with the spider on the tail. By the way the method also works very well for salmon and sea trout but you have to give them a very long lead as casting the heavy flies close to sea trout puts a panic into them. 

Malcolm   
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Wildfisher

How long is your NZ "dropper"

haresear

QuoteHow long is your NZ "dropper"

I used to fish the flies about 12" to 18" apart, but after losing a very big fish which took the tail fly and then was foulhooked in the belly by they upper fly, I now fish them a couple of feet apart.

I use egg patterns on this set-up during the winter for grayling. The salmon seem to like this too, Malcolm.

Alex
Protect the edge.

SouthFly

Good day there all, this is my first post.

I thought I would add a little intersting comment, what we call the New Zealand rig here is called the truck and trailer in NZ. 

haresear

Quote from: SouthFly on March 20, 2009, 01:39:21 PM
Good day there all, this is my first post.

I thought I would add a little intersting comment, what we call the New Zealand rig here is called the truck and trailer in NZ. 

Thanks Southfly, that's a new expression to me. Do you use the method much yourself?

Alex
Protect the edge.

SouthFly

Yes I have used it quiet allot in the past back in my home country South Africa where it's very popular.  Ususally there one would use a fairly weighted fly to get it down through the water column (like a copper john) and then a small nymph trailing behind (like a PTN or GRHE).

I've also used it allot in a dry and dropper rig, basically tying a light nymph to the bend of a dry fly.  I found this very good when fishing shallow clear streams that require long leaders but you have a problem with the nymphs snagging the river bed, you get to keep the fly at the right depth without spooking the fish.

Go To Front Page