News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

The Wharfe at Bolton Abbey

Started by Barnyard, November 15, 2016, 10:48:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barnyard

Hi gents. Does anyone have experience of this stretch of water? I plan to get on there in the new season and my lightest rod is a 9' #4 Hardy Zenith with a matching Hardy DD reel and Rio perception line. I have not fished flowing waters for a hell of a long time and that was using a lignum float and centre pin reel. My question is: Is this 4# too heavy? Should I be looking at a shorter #3? River craft is something I was well briefed in as a kid and approach and setup is not something I am too worried about. As a newbie to river on the fly, well that is a whole new world. Advice as always greatly appreciated.

tomcatin

Quote from: Barnyard on November 15, 2016, 10:48:25 PM
Hi gents. Does anyone have experience of this stretch of water? I plan to get on there in the new season and my lightest rod is a 9' #4 Hardy Zenith with a matching Hardy DD reel and Rio perception line. I have not fished flowing waters for a hell of a long time and that was using a lignum float and centre pin reel. My question is: Is this 4# too heavy? Should I be looking at a shorter #3? River craft is something I was well briefed in as a kid and approach and setup is not something I am too worried about. As a newbie to river on the fly, well that is a whole new world. Advice as always greatly appreciated.

You will be absolutely fine with that set up; the river craft challenge at Bolton Abbey is avoiding snagging passing Labradors and finding a piece of water which doesn't have either bairns swimming, paddling or flinging rocks .......... in other words avoid summer weekends, public holidays or hot days in the summer holiday (when you will be better off heading towards the Bradford City AA waters else where on the river)
Sadly my 7' 5 weight that killed fascists is deceased!

So in respect and in memorium, PLEASE DONATE TO AND SUPPORT THE WILD FISHING FORUM

Highlander

I would take tomcatins advice & give it a miss in summer. I have not fished it myself but the one time I stopped by its banks to have a shuftie it was heaving with day trippers their weans & dugs.
Pricey permit too if I remember right.

Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

ColinM

Nice bit of water upstream of Grassington which I fished a couple of years ago ....a bit quieter than Bolton...permit from the local Post Office along with a day licence wasn't too pricey.

Tight lines.

Barnyard

I will certainly be keeping well away in the summer months and looking at exploring Fewston a bit more when the chavs and their snotty nosed kids are out in force. Good to hear the #4 will be upto the job, the expense of another rod setup is prohibitive right now. Grassington sounds like a nice trip out for the day actually, bit of a recce and lunch at the Angel in Hetton. I will take a drive over next week when I return home from this weekend away.

Thanks chaps!

Barnyard

Wildfisher

It's a river I really fancy fishing myself, it being featured in many Oli Edwards films. It looks beautiful.

Barnyard

Quote from: admin on November 17, 2016, 07:35:18 PM
It's a river I really fancy fishing myself, it being featured in many Oli Edwards films. It looks beautiful.

Frantically trying to track down Oli Edwards films now!

Ah, Lathkill have them but @ £15 a pop I shall have to give them a miss for a wee while and see if I can borrow or ask Santa for one or two.

Wildfisher

"Big Dry Flies for fast Water"  is on the Wharfe, it's also one the better ones to get. Ask Santa for it. Great watch.

Barnyard

Santa has been asked. And he said Yes! Happy days indeed. I wonder if he has a Go Pro going free to record my first trip out on the flowing stuff  :shock:... Might make interesting viewing!!

Wildfisher

Another river I have fancied trying in Englandshire is the upper Tees. 

Go To Front Page