News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Fishing the Dry

Started by east wind, December 16, 2008, 09:20:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

east wind

The overwhelming majority of my fishing is done on rivers, the majority of that time is spent fishing dry fly probably to the detriment of my catch rate but i can't help it, nothing comes close. (though I'm not totally blinkered)

When fishing dry it is normally straight upstream, its what I've always done and I'm comfy with it. See a feeding fish and I'm in like Flint directly below it. I will cast up and across/across/downstream if conditions, opportunities etc dictate. Tail end of the season saw me pluck a few trout out casting straight across but that was only cause the water was so high had i moved out i would have gone for a wee float.

Sneaking in behind the fish, minimising drag and fishing a seam of water at constant speed are probably why i do it.

This season I've been getting stick from a mate who thinks this way spooks too many fish and i think Ive pissed a few folk off over the years by the way i sometimes approach the water.

I cant see how a well executed upstream cast with a long and well prepared leader can put fish off
I had a pretty good season but i have had enough of pretty good. The introduction of new fly patterns have seen fish taking with confidence all season for me.

However i would be very interested in finding out how others approach the fish, how they send out that all important first cast and reasons why.

Cheers,

EW 
Listen son, said the man with the gun
There's room for you inside.

Clan Ford

I reckon it all depends on the position of the fish and the size and depth of the stream.  On small streams I tend to fish directly up stream, as its is near impossible to get in a cast from any other position.  On the bigger rivers I tend to employ the slightly up stream but mainly across cast.  Obviously this is a generalisation and all sorts variations occur.

Norm

haresear

I use all of the above. Upstream, downstream, straight across...

I agree that the smaller the water, the greater is the neccessity for an upstream approach. 

Thinking of bigger waters, there is undoubtedly less chance of drag if fishing from directly downstream of the fish (sorry Buzz :)). If on the other hand you are casting a distance directly across the laminar flow, it stands to reason there are more micro currents to deal with and so a reach mend, wiggle, or a curve cast will often be needed to get your drag-free drift.

The biggest advantage of the straight up approach is that you can get closer to the fish, so can be more accurate and as said earlier, minimise drag. 

On the other hand if you always fish directly upstream, then you will have to be in the water all the time, which I don't like doing if I can avoid it. I try to avoid wading, but realistically it is sometimes the best way to fish sections of river, especially small tree lined streams..

Let's say I'm on the Clyde. When fishing blind, I almost always fish the near bank first, no matter how shallow (unless there has been someone wading ahead of me) and that demands an upstream approach. I then cast across in 4 foot bands (if I am fishing blind and nothing is rising) and end up fishing the far bank if I can reach it. I try to stay out of the water if possible, but in some areas it is unavoidable and in bouldery pocket water it can often be the best way to approach the fishing.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Malcolm

Like Alex I'll fish the best way for a particular situation.

However given a choice of approaches to a rising trout I would normally fish up and across. The reason for this is so that the fly line stays as far as possible from the fish while allowing a decent lead. Fishing down or down and across there is always the problem of lift off. Whereas when fishing upstream once the fly has come sufficiently below the target fish then a gentle roll of the line into position for the next cast and bob's yer uncle. 
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Clan Ford

Quote from: buzz on December 16, 2008, 10:07:41 PM
Norm what difference does depth make to how you present the fly if its a dry? Are we talking distance ahead of the fish?

No Mark,

When I referred to depth I was simply thinking about how wadeable the river is.  I frequently fish bits of water where it would simply be too deep to wade directly below a rising fish.

Norm

east wind

Quote from: buzz on December 16, 2008, 09:40:48 PM
It would be intresting to compair tactics early next season?

Mark, if i bump into you next season I'll hang around a bit and watch you in action so to speak.

Horses for courses then, also need to cover more water around me rather than just the narrow band in front.

EW
Listen son, said the man with the gun
There's room for you inside.

3 weight

All my trout fishing is done on burns so i tend to cast directly upstream 99% of the time, If i can get away with casting across then i will but i have more confidence with short-line upstream casts. 9 times out of 10 my leader is only marginally shorter than the burn is wide so i dont have many options!

Wading is essential in these situations, usually im standing within no more than 20ft of the fish im hoping to catch.

Ptinid

I know this thread is old, but I'm starting to think seriously about getting fishing again!!

On most of my fishing trips, I'm fishing smaller river (Fife Eden, WoL etc), and I find I usually side cast upstream. One effect of side casting is that the fly tends to 'kick out' at right angles to the direction of the cast. This is due to the height above the water, and, frankly, my poor technique.

But is has a huge advantage, which is that with most of the leader straight out, the fly is travelling downstream parallel to the leader, but some 12 inches to one side of it. This means that the fish is less likely to be spooked by the leader passing over it. I'm sure it can still see the leader, but nevertheless I find that this does increase takes over a leader and fly in direct line.
It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming.  ~John Steinbeck

haresear

Quote from: Ptinid on January 28, 2009, 09:24:34 PM
I know this thread is old, but I'm starting to think seriously about getting fishing again!!

On most of my fishing trips, I'm fishing smaller river (Fife Eden, WoL etc), and I find I usually side cast upstream. One effect of side casting is that the fly tends to 'kick out' at right angles to the direction of the cast. This is due to the height above the water, and, frankly, my poor technique.

But is has a huge advantage, which is that with most of the leader straight out, the fly is travelling downstream parallel to the leader, but some 12 inches to one side of it. This means that the fish is less likely to be spooked by the leader passing over it. I'm sure it can still see the leader, but nevertheless I find that this does increase takes over a leader and fly in direct line.

That's a presentation cast George :) If you overpower it, the fly will kick round to the left if you are casting right handed. You can also underpower it and just drop the rod tip at the critical moment if you want the fly on the other side of the line. It may or may not be called a hook cast :?

Alex
Protect the edge.

Ptinid

Thanks Alex,

Now I know my bad casting is really a well developed real cast!!

I never seem to be able to overpower enough to get a left kick on a right handed cast

Must practice more.

George
It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming.  ~John Steinbeck

Go To Front Page