News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Swallows Nest

Started by Inchlaggan, July 08, 2009, 04:41:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inchlaggan

Some help required.
We have had a much-welcome swallows' nest under the apex of the roof that overhangs our verandah. The good news was that it was predator-safe (pine martens mostly) and in full view of my armchair when I am watching the telly.
It was built upon varnished wood, and there were five chicks in the nest- the video cam was working overtime to record progress- to be edited into a production of "Spring Watch" proportions.
Around 10am this morning there was a loud thump, and the nest had fallen from the wall- not predators, nor weather, just poor construction. Three chicks were dead, the other two bleeding from eyes and mouth and were despatched.
SWMBO is well upset.
I have looked at the RSPB website for an artificial nest for next year (?15 incl P&P, hee-haw if it keeps "her indoors" happy". It is just me that will have to climb 16ft up a precarious ladder with the drill and screwdriver  :shock: )
Question is- anyone with experience of this, or alternative suggestions?
Thanks
Ken
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

Inchlaggan

Thanks CB, (no kids, but it still sounds like fun!)
Yes, I think it just dried out, after the 16 foot drop it was dust and straw. I'd produced a muddy puddle and laid out some cut grass during the construction phase. The dog hair from the bagless vacuum cleaner was also offered, and -from the remains- this offer was gratefully received.

Whilst I am up the ruddy ladder, I am thinking of positioning a webcam for live updates, doubtless after all that effort and expense they will not return, but here's hoping.

The wagtails are just about to fledge their second brood from the other end of the house, the blue tits and robins have fledged already from the boxes, but we are short on siskins this year and I do not know why.

Thanks for your help.

Ken
Go."

Harpo

Hi Ken,

No experience of this but that's a sad wee story :(, hope your visitors come back next year.

Cheers

Stuart

superscot

We have a pair nesting just outside the control room at work ...had hours of pleasure watching them feed the 6 young in the nest and must be due soon to fledge.

Inchlaggan

Thanks for the help guys- they are rebuilding- and I have a couple of ideas.
I have even managed to source a loan of a ladder that will get me up there!
Ken
Go."

Go To Front Page