News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Sometimes planting native woodland isn't so good

Started by Malcolm, January 18, 2010, 08:28:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malcolm

I was down at the river today at a place where I hadn't been for a month or two. It's a favourite of mine place in the spring and summer with good numbers of different waders, ducks other species. I do a regular Birdtrack survey of the area. A fair number of my insect and bird pictures on the forum have come from here.
[attachimg=1]
[attachimg=2]
[attachimg=3]
Beside it is an area of swampy ground.
[attachimg=4]
[attachimg=5]
[attachimg=6]
No good to anyone you might think yet it has an amazing variety of insect life that have it as their home. there are at least 5 different types of dragonfly and 3 different types of damsel in this area. One of the types is the highland darter and according to the British Dragonfly Society the jury is out on whether it is a common darter variant or a subspecies in it's own right. There is only one known colony of highland darters for many miles around. It's main feeding area in this little area of swampy ground!
[attachimg=7]
[attachimg=8]
So today I went along to do my regular birdcount and what do I see. A mass of plastic tubes for young native trees. No doubt some person has said this will be a "good thing". I call it rape.
[attachimg=9]
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Wildfisher

If the ground is very wet and boggy  it's very  unlikely the trees will grow. It does seem an odd choice.

Inchlaggan

I bet that the owner got a substantial grant for the project.
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

Fishtales

Might be worthwhile contacting your local biodiversity officer and see what they have to say about it.

http://www.ukbap.org.uk/genpagetext.aspx?id=29
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

Malcolm

Sandy,

Thanks for that. I'll certainly take that up - as well as have a call to  my local politicians. I've already dropped a note to a couple of wildlife organisations.

PA - I think that's exactly what is going on. After all what use is a bit of bogland filled with yellow flag and other weeds?
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Part-time

Malcolm,
If it was planted as part of the current rural grant scheme in Scotland the Forestry Commission will know about it so try contacting the local FC office to find out more/make your concerns known.

Forestry and agricultural grants are now all in the same scheme. Many farmers apply for a package of grant aid for mainly environmental work on their land and as the scoring process for the grant schemes gives lots of points for woodland planting many farmers plant a wee area of trees to help get their application approved. Trouble is, as you have found, these small areas of woodland are often not well thought out or appropriate and the FC don't take the time to assess them. The landowner could have received grant for managing the wetland without planting it but opted for some trees to help get his overall grant application approved.

Native wet woodland is an important habitat and will almost certainly be listed on the local habitat action plan for the area. Hopefully not all the wetland has been planted up and with the correct native species used (Common alder, grey sallow etc) the long term result might not be that bad and improve habitat diversity on the site. Unfortunately there is no getting away from the fact that these tree shelters look bloody awful.

Go To Front Page