News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Grannom in Glasgow

Started by Malcolm, April 27, 2011, 11:35:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malcolm

Down at the Clyde today at the Gorbals and watched a huge grannom hatch worthy of the Tweed all flying upstream. The green body on the one I caught confirmed my initial thought on the species. I spotted a single march Brown beside Polmadie bridge last year too so things really are looking up for this once highly polluted river. 
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

aliferste

We get great Grannom hatches on the Kelvin - have done for several years now. The trout totally ignore them though usually taking the nymphs.

Last year, I found a single fly that we think was a March Brown.

Fishtales

It certainly has all the characteristics of a March Brown.
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

River Chatter

Never notice Grannom on my local the White Cart and come to think of it, fly life is a bit sparse altogether the last couple of seasons.  Looking at the March Brown in the pic above makes me wonder why MB dry flies always seem to be so heavily dressed.  Shop bought ones anyway.

Wildfisher

Of course there's Grandholm in Aberdeen all year round.   :roll:

Billy

I was on the Avon yesterday for a few hours and a large up-wing landed on me.

I should have taken a photograph but the tails (2 of them) were much longer than the actual body of the fly.

Billy

Billy

That looks like the fly from yesterday.

What is the set up you used for the picture?

Billy

Malcolm

Quote from: col on April 28, 2011, 10:09:49 AM
more than likely a brook Dun Billy, we do get the odd MB but more commonly Brook duns which are just that wee bit bigger.
http://www.wildfisher.co.uk/smf/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=1129

Did you check that it's balls were to the left of it's belly button and the one of the claws on the rear feet was clubbed?
To jaw like this

haresear

It does look more like a brook dun, given the banding in the wings and the clear pane on the wings.

It might sound unimportant, the flies looking so similar, but there is an important difference in behaviour. The march brown nymphs hatch in the flow and the brook duns hatch on stones etc, so the nymphs are less available to trout holding in the current.

If I see brook duns I think dry fly and if I see march browns it could be either nymph/wet or dry.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Malcolm

Aliferste's fly is definitely a MB. There are 5 flies that are virtually identical but the MB has a dark patch on the femur which can be clearly seen in the picture- I think the only other fly with that patch is the Olive upright - and it's not that.

Col's fly doesn't have that patch on the femur so that leaves 4 - the Autumn dun, Large green dun, Late March Brown and the Large Brook dun. I think Alex and Col are right are right with the Large Brook dun but I wouldn't put my life on it!
To jaw like this

Go To Front Page