News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

The Clyde in glasgow

Started by Malcolm, January 17, 2009, 10:32:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malcolm

Was on the Clyde to day between Rutherglen and Glasgow green and was watching the wildlife. Amazing how things have changed since I was a lad. Saw the following birds: Dunnock, Blue tit, Great Tit, Robin, Sparrow, crow, black headed gull Herring gull, cormorant Goosander, kingfisher, coot, moorhen, little grebe, mallard, collared dove, swan, kestrel, goldfinch, magpie, grey wagtail.

Also probably many more that I coukdn't identify at a glance.

Also saw a pair of roe deer opposite the sewage works. Most remarkable however was the number of slunging salmon and sea trout kelts up at Belvedere. I must have seen 6 or so. What a change. 
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

haresear

Thanks Malcolm. Think I'll take a Clydeside walk from Cambuslang up to Carmyle tomorrow in the hope of seeing some salmon.

Alex
Protect the edge.

shanksi

Always amazes me Malcolm when we walk that stretch how much wildlife you can see and not only the animal variety. :D  Was talking with a guy that fishes this stretch of river regularly and he was telling me that he watched a guy land a salmon at Belvedere last season and reckoned it was about 14lb and was amazed when the boy put it back.  Believe that stretch is controlled by the Mid Clyde Angling.

shanksi

Malcolm

Quote from: shanksi on January 18, 2009, 08:37:22 PM
Always amazes me Malcolm when we walk that stretch how much wildlife you can see and not only the animal variety. :D  Was talking with a guy that fishes this stretch of river regularly and he was telling me that he watched a guy land a salmon at Belvedere last season and reckoned it was about 14lb and was amazed when the boy put it back.  Believe that stretch is controlled by the Mid Clyde Angling.

shanksi

Didn't know mid clyde had that stretch. I believe a lot of it is to become the Commonwealth games village. Hope it doesn't spoil it.People just wouldn't believe how changed the Clyde is now particularly above the Railway bridge.
[attach = 1]
To jaw like this

haresear

The Mid-Clyde AA has the migratory fishing rights from Bothwell bridge to Dalmarnock bridge.

Very recently, they have been granted the lease of the fishing rights for non-migratory fish to those stretches of river which are in South Lanarkshire Council's ownership. The prime stretches are below the Livingstone bridge, Blantyre, Bothwell Castle area, below Greyfriars bridge, Uddingston (all on the true right bank). There are other areas too, paricularly around Blantyre, but those are the ones that would be of most interest to trout anglers.

What the lease to the MCAA means is that you will now need a permit to fish those waters (having said that, the Protection Order only extends to Bothwell bridge).

If you need more info. I'd be happy to oblige.

Alex
Protect the edge.

shanksi

Nice photo Malcolm, was the boat from the boatyard past the bridge?  Often wondered if they would allow you to fish that side of the river.

shanksi

Malcolm

Shanksi
No it's a boat from Glasgow rowing club. There was a race on that day and I was manning one of the safety boats.

Malcolm
To jaw like this

haresear

Quote from: buzz on January 19, 2009, 02:25:50 PM
Very intresting.
Does that mean i can fish for trout at Bothwell Castle and around that stretch?
The other question (sorry if its obvious) is can i fish for trout downstream of Bothwell Bridge (The one linking Bothwell to Hamilton just before the race course) I pass it all the time and downstream looks great for pocket picking?
If the answer to both of these is yes i suspect my mother might be getting more frequent visits from her grandkids :P
Thanks in anticipation Alex.
Mark

Mark, yes you can fish both those stetches, but you should buy a permit from the MCAA.
costs are realistically priced at only ?2 per day or ?10 for the year.

Alex

Protect the edge.

Malcolm

Alex,

Thanks for that information. I didn't know they had the water down as far as Dalmarnock bridge. There's some fine water there but very few trout although I did catch a trout some years ago down near the green.

You can see fish rising particularly in nice evenings in May up at Belvedere but I suspect most are dace. I have a feeling that there may be some big chub or perhaps small carp up there too as I've seen fish in the 4-6lb range rolling. While I could see the big scales I've never been close enough to get a positive ID. 
To jaw like this

haresear

QuoteYou can see fish rising particularly in nice evenings in May up at Belvedere but I suspect most are dace. I have a feeling that there may be some big chub or perhaps small carp up there too as I've seen fish in the 4-6lb range rolling. While I could see the big scales I've never been close enough to get a positive ID

It's been a few years since I fished that area, but you are probably right about the dace Malcolm. I used to catch some good bags of big dace and some decent roach in the area of the river opposite the Rutherglen boatyard.
I also spoke to a guy who landed a fair sized carp from that area and won the Daily Record's Fish of The Week competition with it, so you may be right about the carp too. I've heard rumours of chub and bream, but never seen any myself.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Go To Front Page