News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

How To Clean A Fly Line

Started by Wildfisher, October 30, 2014, 09:27:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

This is something often asked.

For floating lines I just use Armorall Dashboard Wipes, they work wonders and cause no damage (not to Wildfisher lines anyway) , but this is the way Rio recommends.

Notice how frequently they recommend you clean your line! This is not bullshit, it makes a massive difference to how you cast and above all how much control you have. I can tell  my line is needing cleaned without even looking at it. They say automotive cleaning products are not recommend, but I and others  have not noticed  any problem with PVC  coated lines, certainly not with Wildfisher when using Armorall Dashboard Wipes.

Speaking as one who fishes far more than most I can honestly say that in one season's  fishing my lines will suffer more wear and tear than most anglers lines will see in several seasons. I spend  a ridiculous amount of time fishing. No single thing will improve your line performance more than cleaning and lubricating.

How to Clean a Fly Line - Part 1

How to Clean a Fly Line - Part 2

corsican dave

Quote from: admin on October 30, 2014, 09:27:51 AM
No single thing will improve your line performance more than cleaning and lubricating.

heartily endorse this! 6 days in spain turned a virtually new wulff triangle taper into a grit-scoured vestige of its original self. i'm still not sure if it's recovered, even after several cleans...
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Bobfly

You can get little bottles of a PVC restorer/conditioner that is supposed to repair the line coating. Not really tried it but could be worthwhile.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Billy

I have used whizz lube.

It took a bit of explaining to the wife when she saw the bottle right enough.
I don't think I really convinced her it was for fishing.

Billy

Fishtales

My line routine.

Leave it on the reel 365 days, in the boot of the car summer and winter; take it out and use as needed; run it through a microfibre cloth occasionally; treat the head taper with Mucilin Red now and again; give it a pull and a stretch when taking it off the reel before starting to fish. Repeat every year until the line is done, replace :) The last time I bought a new line it was one of yours Fred and that was some time ago :)
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

Inverguseran

I normally don't bother washing my lines but give them a wipe with a clean rag, then use a line conditioner like Ryobi Masterline or Loon Line Speed.

sagecirca

I use Johnsons baby wipes (blue and pink pack) and wipe my lines clean after every trip then use a Rio line wipe (got a huge stack of them at a world championships couple of years back) to leave a nice slick coat on them.  Works for me.

Go To Front Page