News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Some good News for a change

Started by Otter Spotter, May 22, 2014, 09:51:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

Quote from: borderbob on May 24, 2014, 08:40:08 PM
Stop being so technical  :?
Sorry Bob I had to be otherwise you might have thought it was the pencil that broke.  :D

Bobfly

:D :D

Seriously though - it seems to me that many very expensive yachts break apart or their keels drop off and so on whilst out round-the-worlding or whatever. Carbon fibre catamarans seem vulnerable despite costing millions and being so-called state-of-the-art in boat building techniques and miracle materials.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Wildfisher

I got the low-down last week from my cousin Tam on just what the local east coast fishing community thinks about this and also why their boat may have sunk whilst under tow from the life boat.   I wont be posting it.  :lol:

Robbie

I imagine the High tech boats of today are design to operate at the limits of the materials in order to minimise weight and maximise speed. the availability of high end computing has allowed refinement of design well beyond what was achievable even twenty years ago.

This means that there will be less reserve strength in todays top end hulls and tend to break when older design would have rolled with the punches.

Bobfly

I would shy away from the notion of "less reserve strength" if I was planning to be in the mid-Atlantic or anywhere else a long way from shore !! Cutting edge in racing car design now means you can tumble through the air at 120mph and walk away with scuff marks on your shoulder pads and a scratch on your helmet. A bit better than the arse falling out of your boat. 
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Go To Front Page