News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Recent posts

Aquariums & Fish Keeping / Re: Sand
Last post by Wildfisher - Today at 01:44:52 PM
Glorious day here, another walk in the woods, a few more roots. Got way too much now.  ;D

232e6fac-6dc9-4876-ba78-e139727d3b81.jpg
Open Board / Re: Whisky Reviews
Last post by SoldierPmr - Today at 01:41:29 PM
It's a shame we don't get much a selection of bourbons over here. It seems the yanks keep the best for them selves. With such a big internal market they have no need to sell them abroad. I often use wild turkey 101 as my cocktail whisky I think it's pretty good value for money.
Aquariums & Fish Keeping / Re: Brine Shrimp
Last post by Jon - Today at 12:12:57 PM
Not sure I'm keen enough to build my own these days.

I've gone through phases where I became a bit obsessive about rare Killifish, spending a lot of effort sourcing eggs and fish etc. You spend time producing live food there!

I then did the same with rare West African Cichlids.

When I do finally get the time I want to build a paludarium configured in a way that it can house fish, darts and lizards with loads of live plants too.

I really want to have a serious crack at breeding a few marine species also. I've even bought almost all the kit required. I just lack time. But it will happen. Eventually...

Last post by Wildfisher - Today at 12:01:03 PM
Quote from: Jon on Today at 11:46:59 AMYou have been warned. :)
Yeah I have been there before. Had 7 or 8 tanks last time including one 5 foot wide, deep giant I built from salvaged shop window plate glass after a particularly rowdy Aberdeen vs Rangers match. Cost peanuts to make.

God, I really was young and keen once!  ;D
Last post by Jon - Today at 11:46:59 AM
At some point you'll want to raise a batch of fish. To do this properly you'll need a grow out tank...

At some point you'll come across a species you really want to keep but that isn't really compatible with what you currently have...

At some point you'll feel the need to challenge yourself with something much more difficult to keep and breed...

At some point you'll think about keeping saltwater...

Keep visiting LFS and watching Youtube videos and this might become an obsession.

You have been warned. :)
Last post by Wildfisher - Today at 11:35:52 AM
I'm trying hard to restrain myself.....  ;D
Last post by Jon - Today at 11:30:09 AM
Errrr, I used Instant Ocean marine salt, so kind of???

He's right that you will get a better yield than if the salinity is too low.

You're not doing things by halves are you!

If you are going for Cory's and Dwarf cichlids take a long hard look at also culturing :-

Microworms - small tetras and fry
Banana worms - small tetras and fry
Grindal worms - everything
White worms - everything but feed sparingly due to a high fat content. They do wonders for bringing fish into breeding condition though.

You'll save yourself $$$ in food if done correctly.

***Anyone here want to take bets on how long it is before Fred is officially diagnosed with suffering from MTS (Multi Tank Syndrome)? 
Aquariums & Fish Keeping / Brine Shrimp
Last post by Wildfisher - Today at 11:23:06 AM
40 years ago I recall a fish keeper I worked with telling me he got far better yield hatching brine shrimp in sea water than tap water with added salt. OK if you live by the sea I suppose.

Anyone tried this? I only ever used tap water + salt.
Environmental / Re: Revolting Farmers
Last post by Jon - Today at 11:14:12 AM
The UK only produces around 50% of its own food.

The real issue is that people want everything cheap, hence the imports and they've forgot what seasonable availability is. So we'll never see an increase in UK food production IMHO. The best thing people can do is take time to learn about local suppliers and support them where they can.
Open Board / Re: Whisky Reviews
Last post by Jon - Today at 10:57:50 AM
You can find a lot of cheap whisky on Amazon at certain times. It's well worth looking out for the deals.

Springbank casks have made 6 figures plus in recent years.

I'm off to a see friends this evening. Tonight it won't be Scotch but different bourbons! :)
Go To Front Page