News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

The Con - Part 8

Started by otter, March 12, 2013, 10:23:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

otter

It was late Tuesday evening. Father Brennan was knee deep in parish paperwork, work that he tended to neglect until the Bishop got on his case. Then it would be panic station for several hours while he sorted it all out. Baptismal certs were a royal pain in the ****, if he had his way he would insist that his parishioners did a compulsory course on birth control, they seemed to breed like rabbits.

When the doorbell rang he was surprised to have a late caller but welcomed the distraction from the mess of papers that were strewn all over the floor. Opening the door he was met by an extremely drunken Sean Lavelle, a case of Scotch under hisleft arm and a half empty bottle of Paddy in his right hand.

'Howya Father, I'm pished.' Seam murmured as pushed his way past Father Brennan into the hall.

'I would never have guessed.' replied Father Brennan as he relieved Sean of the case of Scotch and ushered him into the kitchen. He was about to remind him of their pact of not drinking but there was little point, Sean was beyond admonishment.

Sean collapsed into a chair and fiddled with the cap of the bottle of Paddy. Father Brennan reached for a glass and taking the bottle he poured a small drop in and topped it up with a copious amount of water. He had never seen Sean so agitated or so drunk in many a year. 'Sean, who is looking after the pub?'

Sean looked up at Father Brennan, 'James, Father, sorry for the intrusion, I have no one else to talk to. I threw them all out of the pub and told them it was closed for a fortnight. Father, the loneliness is killing me, all the worse recently at the thought of that basterd Egan being with my lovely Emma. She should be Emma Lavelle father not Emma bloody Egan.

I know people laugh at me Father, call me scrooge and claim that I still have my communion money. It wasn't always that way, the day he stole her was the day my heart turned to stone. You know what it's like yourself Father, the loneliness when you lie alone in your bed, nothing for comfort but the cobwebs on the ceiling. Is it any wonder Father that we seek comfort at the bottom of a glass.'

Father Brennan looked down on this wreck of a man and though trained to offer religion as a solution he refrained from doing so; 'Sean, it's a terrible thing the loneliness, a terrible disease if you let it take hold.'

'You are right there Father, it's worse than the gout. I was thinking of ending it all but sure I am too much the coward for that. Father, I have a flight booked for the Philipines and when I get back I'll be marching up your aisle with a new bride, it's all arranged.' he said handing Father Brennan a photograph.

'Christ almighty Sean, she's a looker, is she half your age'; Father Brennan was stunned. A few ex priests that he knew had found love in the Philipines and were now happily married . 'Sean, God works in strange ways. If she is happy and you are happy, not God, nor I will stand in your way. Every man, even a bollox like yourself Sean is entitled to a little bit of happiness.'

Sean stuck out his hand; 'Father will you say the mass?'

'I will Sean and if you are half the man you claim to be, I'll baptise the young Lavelle's when they arrive. One condition, no more drink. You will want to be staying sober if you intend on keeping the young lady happy. '; Father Brennan with a glint in his old eyes, raised a glass of water; 'To the bride and groom.'

Sean took the photo back and stared at the picture through his bleary eyes; ' Mr and Missus Lavelle, that will shut the basterds up, won't it Father.'

'It will Sean'; Father Brennan momentarily felt very jealous and considered going with Sean but quickly buried the idea, not that it was the first time such an idea had crossed his mind.

'Goodnight Sean, safe home and good man for remembering the case of Scotch. I'll be visiting Jimmy Egan tomorrow night and putting it to good use.'

'Two weeks Father, ye ha, see ya in two weeks'; said Sean as he danced a jig down to the gate.

Father Brennan as was his habit when confused or deep in thought, scratched his beard. Returning to his paperwork he giggled like a school girl; ' God almighty, Sean Lavelle marrying a young one, who would have thought it possible.'

To be continued

scotgillespie

In the unspoken words of Father Brennan; keep it up...

bushy palmer

This has become my daily soap operah! looking forward to the next. :D

Ripple

Love it, can't wait for the next part.

Go To Front Page