News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

The Con - Part 9

Started by otter, March 13, 2013, 12:27:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

otter

Father Brennan had done his homework well, Emma Egan was one of the organisers of the Zumba dancing held at the parish hall every Wednesday night. That would give him all the time he needed to weasel his way into Jimmy Egan's life.

The electric wrought iron gates opened slowly revealing a long winding avenue which Father Brennan drove up slowly. The front of the mansion was well lit with ample parking room for a dozen cars. His battered old Renault Clio did not quite match the surroundings and even though Father Brennan placed no value on such things, for once in his life he felt a little unsure of himself. Pillars guarded an equally imposing front door, more appropiate for the Popes retreat at Castelgandolfo tahn the home of an engineer. Father Brennan had to steady his nerves as he rang the doorbell.

An obviously expensive designer shirt over a pair of perfectly ironed slacks left Father Brennan in little doubt that the man standing before him lived in a different world than he.

Jimmy was a little taken back at the sight of a priest on his doorstep but he had not achieved what he had achieved in life by being hostile. 'Father Brennan, you are most welcome to my humble home, please come in out of the cold. Let me take your coat, there is a nice fire burning in the living room.'

'Thank you Jimmy, the winter is about its business. Here is a small bottle to take the chill away.' Father Brennan handed Jimmy the bottle and followed him into the living room and stood in front of the enormous fireplace. 'That's a fine fire Jimmy, it must take a whole forrest to keep it fed.'

Jimmy was well aware of Father Brennan's reputation but was mildly surprised to note that the bottle was a 1992 Laphroaig 11 year old and immediately the priest went up ten points in his estimation. 'That's a fine whiskey, I have a bottle that you might like to try, a 22 year old Brora. Will I pour you a dram.'

'I will indeed enjoy the pleasure of such a generous offer, if the lord himself took up brewing he could not brew a finer malt than that. It must be five years since a Brora passed my lips and my appreciation of it you will not find wanting. God bless your hospitality.'

Father Brennan hummed with pleasure, unfeigned pleasure, as the malt slowly warmed his pallet, taking him on an incredible journey as it aroused his taste buds. 'Glorious Jimmy, simply glorious. '

Jimmy beamed with delight. It saddened him greatly that so few around understood the joy of fine whiskey and to share with a fellow connoisseur was too rare an event. 'The pleasure is all mine . I was a bit taken aback when I saw you on my doorstep. But any man that shares my passion for the finest of whiskeys is always welcome here.'

'I had no idea Jimmy that you were a man after my own heart. I'll get to the point of my visit Jimmy, tis the fly fishing. I did a bit as a lad and would love to do it again before St. Peter calls me on my way. I asked a few people and they all pointed me in the direction of your door. Jimmy Egan's your man Father and why not ask Jimmy Egan, there is nothing about the fly fishing that Jimmy Egan doesn't know about. So here I am Jimmy, can you help this old man fulfil his dream.' Father Brennan cast his fly with great skill and guile, certain that soon he would see the rings of the rise.

Jimmy feigned astonishment that he would be held in such high esteem; 'Sure I know a bit Father but calling me an expert is over generous praise. '; Drifting slowly downstream he tracked the fly then with a flick of his tail he propelled to the surface and with flaring gills he sucked in the fly. 'Father, I would be delighted to show you the river and teach you how to fly fish. If luck is with us, we can have a dram or two after.'

'That's great news jimmy. Now don't worry, I am not a beginner, just a little rusty and at my age it wouldn't be safe to be wandering around the river by myself. I won't be too much of a hindrance. I used to tie my own flies when the eyesight was a bit better than it is now. Do you tie flies?'; Reel him in quickly thought Father Brennan as he downed the last few warming drops of malt.

Jimmy quickly poured another dram. 'I love the fly tying father, not a day goes by that I don't tie a half dozen at least. Take your glass and follow me, I have a small room dedicated to the fishing.'

'Brilliant Jimmy, that I would love to see. I'm a bit behind the times and would be thrilled to see how you young fellas go about your business. Lead on.'

to be continued

scotgillespie

Excellent, the tail just keeps up with the standard you set at the start.

Ripple

Go To Front Page