News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

the A9 has a new tackle shop.

Started by bibio1, February 09, 2014, 11:22:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hill loch gold

Quote from: bushy palmer on February 09, 2014, 12:21:40 PM
Aye I was watching a video on the Helmsdale the other week and saw this- It said in the video that it had opened last January.

I seen this video too, hooked uk a new season on youtube.

alancrob

On my trips North I usually have a stop at HOB. At least you know you will pay through the nose but for decent stuff. Even the coffee is good.  Much prefer that to the alternatives of Pitlochry or Aviemore. The worst of Scottish hospitality.
Tiso in Perth is competition for a good cafe but is just a bit early on the journey.

Last time I was in HOB I noticed quite a change in the range of "real" stuff for sale. A decent fishing section puts it back at the top of the list for me.

See you soon Callum. I take it Simon is the young chap I met when he had just taken over the shop in Pitlochry. Seemed very keen and knowledgable.

A.

Midgie Hater

Got to agree with Bibio that this thread is, albeit unintentionally, a handy PR job for HOB. However, while the various companions i've travelled past it with over the years all tend to rasp, snort and mock, I will (grits teeth) have to take a peek now. Damn it! The fly selection endorsements do sound enticing though.

Oh, and if we're talking PR, since I will, as most regulars know, be emigrating to Oregon later this year:

Given that UK prices for American products tend to reflect the US price in Dollars - i.e. $1500 (approx. £915) = £1500 over here - should anyone really feel the need/desire to own the Oregon-made salmon reel i'll happily source them out and post over with the addition of a "handling and postage charge" (including petrol - sorry, "gas"  :roll: ) of just £85, resulting in a £500 saving against the HOB price. Sorry Calum ;)

Wildfisher

Quote from: bibio1 on February 10, 2014, 05:54:10 PM
This thread has been a good wee advert for house of braur.

Aye, I'll be sending Calum the bill shortly.    :lol:

Robbie

We often stop off when traveling to or from my mothers, hand as its roughly the mid point. Fell foul of being distracted by the tackle section and lost track of my other half for a fatal 15 Min's, must be more careful next time.

Highlander

QuoteMuch prefer that to the alternatives of Pitlochry or Aviemore. The

Aviemore I agree is in the main pretty bad or at least the few places I have vsited. Think you are a bit unkind but Pitlochry has in my opinion some nice places for a tea/ coffee
Victorias on the main drag in particular offers nice cuisine. The wee cafe at The Boating Station is fine for a quick snack. Couple of others ,none that I can say are rubbish.

Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

alancrob

Just got the new Orvis catalogue through. Not much in there I can/will afford either.

Still it is nice to look.

47" Orvis practice caster for £39?  At least the same colour as a Helios.  :D

A.

bibio1

Quote from: Highlander on February 11, 2014, 07:13:17 PM
Aviemore I agree is in the main pretty bad or at least the few places I have vsited. Think you are a bit unkind but Pitlochry has in my opinion some nice places for a tea/ coffee
Victorias on the main drag in particular offers nice cuisine. The wee cafe at The Boating Station is fine for a quick snack. Couple of others ,none that I can say are rubbish.

Tight Lines

What about the balinluig cafe. You can have anything you like as long as it's out a deep fat frier.

Suki1312

You've obviously not tried the Lochboisdale cafe . Deary me they just drop the sausage and burgers in the deep fryer , they don't even butter the roll , worst burger I've ever had in Scotland .
Every day is a school day

Moggie

Logierait Inn, just off the A9 at Ballinluig is a brilliant place to stop off for a coffee or a meal. Excellent value for money and you even get to pee in a bucket! A polished galvanised Bucket! Even Alan would approve! And with the TAY on one side and the TUMMEL on the other you can't go wrong. If going for a meal a quick phone call is recommended. I should say I have no connection with the Inn other than being a very satisfied customer.
Do it well, Do it once.

Go To Front Page