News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Hooks

Started by east wind, August 28, 2011, 12:53:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

east wind

Anyone used these offerings by Tiemco ? Any comments on them good or not so good ?

http://www.flytyingboutique.com/store/Details.asp?ProdID=525&category=11

There have been some devilishly small olive upwings hatching recently down my way, anyone recommend an emerger hook that goes smaller than my trusted Kamasan B100 #16's ?

Cheers,

Mac

Listen son, said the man with the gun
There's room for you inside.

Darwin

I have never used that hook, but now I want some.  TMC/Tiemco is the only hooks I use in small sizes (#20 to #26) and have not had a problem with them, that said you have to use a soft hand and remember your using fine wire.

Andrew Moray

Hello Mac,

The 212 is a big hook for its size.
Varivas go very small, as does Phils rebadged hooks, but my personal small emerger hook is the Tiemco 2487.

If you like the Kamasan hooks, have a look at their specimen hooks - B980, 981 and 982 IIRC.
Excellent for small dries and nymphs.
Come in packs of 10 or box of 25, go very small, and are VERY strong.

HTH
Tony

east wind

Quote from: Darwin on August 28, 2011, 08:17:31 PM
that said you have to use a soft hand and remember your using fine wire.

Aye Darwin tried that, soft or firm makes no difference, the troot have got the edge at the moment.

Quote from: Andrew Moray on August 29, 2011, 11:59:24 AM
Hello Mac,

The 212 is a big hook for its size.
varivas go very small, as does Phils rebadged hooks, but my personal small emerger hook is the Tiemco 2487.

If you like the Kamasan hooks, have a look at their specimen hooks - B980, 981 and 982 IIRC.
Excellent for small dries and nymphs.
Come in packs of 10 or box of 25, go very small, and are VERY strong.

Tony, the TMC 2487 is what I've been using for the last month, in sizes #18 & #20 to get anywhere near whats been coming off.

At the same time I've been losing a lot of fish one after another, same thing happens, fish on, a couple of head bumps for a few seconds as we get acquainted and its gone. The 2487's have a nice looking profile but I wonder about the way it takes hold.

First I thought the hooks might be springing, but checked a few on the vice and they appeared to be OK. Another possibility is that just now I'm coming across quite a few grayling, but even then too many are getting off. Feels as though the hook has a small in and out hold which gives way or springs very easily.

I looked at the Kamasan specimen hooks, but it needs to be an emerger for them just now or probably a blank.

Thought I might have a go with those 212Y's because of the wide gape. They do look springy but I might try them out. I would think they use the same size system for all their products so a #19 would probably do.

Cheers,

Mac

bibio1

Mac,

I use the 2487's without any issues and find them to be great. Tried a lot of others and not found any better. As for varivas, complete rubbish.

Cheers

Paul

Darwin

They also make a TMC 2488H, that is a heavier version of the 2488 (my favorite).  I use Kamasan for #8 to #16 and TMC for small hooks. 

The 2488 does have a wider gap that I feel helps with the hookup.  
Sizes: 12-22  Curved nymph, straight eye, 2x short, 3x heavy version of the popular 2488 hook.

Daiichi 1120 or 1130 might be an option if available.
DAIICHI 1120 HEAVY WIDE-GAP SCUD HOOK has continuous bend, down-eye, 2X-heavy wire, 1X-short shank. Sizes-6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 20, 22

deergravy

212Y has a great shape, but is very fine wire, maybe a bit better than the awful varivas 2210s, but I wouldn't trust them on a big fish.
Go for 2488, I'd say. Great hook.
Kamasan should do the b100 in #18 and 20.

Malcolm

East Wind - I seldom use smaller than the 16 B160 which is a 3x short shank so gaper of a s16 length of a s19.

Regarding losing fish: have you tried twisting the point to the side? I do this on all of my small flies and I think it makes a big difference. 
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

deergravy

Quote from: Malcolm on August 31, 2011, 10:48:42 AM: have you tried twisting the point to the side? I do this on all of my small flies and I think it makes a big difference. 

I think it does, too. B100 has an offset point.
You could put a slight twist in a 2487 or 2488 and get away with it, I think.
212ys are very fragile - I broke the point off two of them when flattening the barb with a pair of forceps.  :shock: Straight into the 'pish' bin...

east wind

Quote from: deergravy on August 30, 2011, 11:47:58 PM
Kamasan should do the b100 in #18 and 20.

Too right they should, lets start a petition.

Quote from: Malcolm on August 31, 2011, 10:48:42 AM
Regarding losing fish: have you tried twisting the point to the side? I do this on all of my small flies and I think it makes a big difference.  

Only tried offsetting the hook shank of some spent spinners. As a Toolmaker in a previous life I am a bit hesitant in forcing heat treated steel that has been set, however Malcolm I might just experiment.

Usually I don't go below #16's and as been said, the Kamasans are offset for us. Last few weeks I have been forced to go smaller with a bigger than normal surge of these tiny uprights.

[attachimg=1]

Talk about fussy troot, these things attached themselves to the waders below the water line in their hundreds anywhere I went after only about ten minutes, and were hatching for hours.

I bought a range of Daiichi 1130's hooks from Flytying Boutique (great service) to try out, they seem a tad up size for size from TMC 2487's with a slightly larger gape.

All probably academic this season though as I hope the wee stuff has hatched out by now.

Cheers,

Mac

Go To Front Page