News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Hooks

Started by east wind, August 28, 2011, 12:53:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew Moray

Hello Mac,

Have to say I've never had a problem with the TMC2487 hook, but, thanks to the advice of the very talented Andy Baird, I do use the straight-eyed 2488 for really wee stuff, <#24.
As suggested by other rmembers, I also tend to offset most hooks <#20, down to a John Goddard article on midge fishing techniques

Quote from: east wind on August 29, 2011, 09:26:20 PMI looked at the Kamasan specimen hooks, but it needs to be an emerger for them just now or probably a blank.
Bad English on my part, meant to say, not an emerger hook, but if you like Kamasan hooks in general ......

Quote from: east wind on August 31, 2011, 10:34:38 PMAll probably academic this season though as I hope the wee stuff has hatched out by now.
Mibees aye, mibees naw, but think how prepared you'll be for the wee bastids next season  :D

All the best,
Tony

Malcolm

I wonder what flies these are? Apart from Caenis I can't think of any upwings as small as size 22-26. The picture seems to show the flies with wings flat along their backs. More like some type of pale jassid. Any chance of a close up?

I know that some upwinged flies have a smaller summer generation but even so these are too small for small dark olives or pale wateries.
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

east wind

Out last night for a couple of hours, tied some Daiichi #18's and landed a few trout up to around 1lb give or take which were given the firm treatment. Will give the hooks a proper workout next season.

Quote from: Malcolm on September 02, 2011, 10:33:20 AM
I wonder what flies these are? Apart from Caenis I can't think of any upwings as small as size 22-26. The picture seems to show the flies with wings flat along their backs. More like some type of pale jassid. Any chance of a close up?

I know that some upwinged flies have a smaller summer generation but even so these are too small for small dark olives or pale wateries.

The flies look like a mini version of the BWO's I see in numbers around June/July, a TMC 2487 size 20 or equivalent is about as close a representation I can tie.

Can I produce a close up from the original picture ?
Listen son, said the man with the gun
There's room for you inside.

Fishtales

I tried to zoom in on them but the resolution was too low. I thought I could see two tails on a couple and looked them up in Goddard's pocket book. The closest could be Pale Watery or Small Spurwing.
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

Malcolm

Quote from: east wind on September 02, 2011, 09:50:00 PM
Out last night for a couple of hours, tied some Daiichi #18's and landed a few trout up to around 1lb give or take which were given the firm treatment. Will give the hooks a proper workout next season.

The flies look like a mini version of the BWO's I see in numbers around June/July, a TMC 2487 size 20 or equivalent is about as close a representation I can tie.

Can I produce a close up from the original picture ?

EW

If you have taken the pictures with a digital camera the original will probably be something like 16 inches x 10 ins. You could crop the original. Even some phone pictures could be cropped.
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

east wind

Not going to work Malcolm, found another picture and tried to crop. Poor definition, cameras are not my bag

[attachimg=1]

[attachimg=2]
Listen son, said the man with the gun
There's room for you inside.

Traditionalist

This might help you out, it works very well on some things;

http://sourceforge.net/projects/imageenlarger/

TL
MC

Go To Front Page