News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Thread sizes

Started by zeolite, December 25, 2018, 10:49:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zeolite

Gents

It has been a while since I bought any thread and even longer since I tied a fly! Can anyone please guide me on thread size.

I will have top order stuff for delivery here in Norway as the prices are eye watering.

I will be tying small tubes for salmon and fjord sea_trout so it has to be of reasonable thickness.

Thanks in advance
Schrodinger's troots pictured above.

Highlander

A 6/0 or 8/0 thread would be about right with maybe the 6/0 as first choice. With regard to sizes the smaller the number the thicker the thread . For Trout on lets say a size 12 hook I would use a  8/0 or even a 12/0. You got to remember it is not all about thickness but strength too will play a part. A 6/0 would be fine for what you need for a start.
As for type & make I  rarely use a nylon or GSP thread much preferring a terylene/polyester based thread Bennechi is the one I have settled on over the years. UNI the Canadian company is the market leader & is a good choice.
UTC is very popular in the UK & have a vibrant range of colours but not for this tyer far too shiny & slippy.

You will get some good info here.
https://www.theessentialfly.com/blog/fly-tying-threads-size-comparison-charts.html

Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Bobfly

I mostly use UNI in 6 and 8. A suggestion is to look at McPhail's videos for salmon tube flies etc and he will show what he uses and that would be as good a steer as any.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

zeolite

Schrodinger's troots pictured above.

Lochan_load

I'd be inclined to go uni 8/0, it can be hard to keep the bulk of the head down on wee tubes.....Vaughan's right though, if in doubt consult davie  :lol:

Go To Front Page