News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

How Much Would You Pay For Guide In Scotland?

Started by Wildfisher, June 11, 2009, 07:56:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How much would you pay for  guide in Scotland for one day

Zilch
11 (57.9%)
Up to  ?50
2 (10.5%)
Up to ?100
4 (21.1%)
Up to ?150
2 (10.5%)
Over ?150
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Wildfisher

OK, the last of the Scottish 'guide' polls.  Let?s assume you have decided to hire a guide (local or whatever)  for a day, to help you out on a Scottish water unfamiliar to you. Again it?s not casting tuition you are after it?s fishing,  just someone who knows the water and will help you catch a fish.

How much would you be prepared to pay?

Feel free to elaborate if you wish.

Wildfisher

Quote from: col on June 11, 2009, 09:45:29 AM
thats not to say i would' nt take local advice

cheapskate............  :D  is that not the same as voting zilch?  :lol:

Crawhin

By and large (like most others here it seems) I'm happier doing my own thing and learning by trial and error and have never actually hired a guide/gillie. I could, however, see myself potentially doing it for e.g. a day out on one of the big salmon and sea trout lochs where you need to get local knowledge to get over the lies. The kind of thing you'd maybe do as a special one-off treat for a day out on Hope or Maree (if the fish ever return there). Something in the ?50 - ?75 range seems about right just off the top of my head to pay a man for his professional time, effort and expertise for a day like that. Otherwise, like I say, I'm happier puffing up and down the hills and splashing along the bank on my own or drifting in circles in little boats with a mate or two.       

Ian

haresear

I can't think of any situation where I would pay for guiding in Scotland, so I voted zilch too.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Harpo

Inchlaggan

I voted "up to ?100", something of a vested interest here  :shock:

In the other polls I have stated my preference for "guidance" on new or strange waters, so I have to continue in that vein.

I have also made the assumption that this is for the hire of the guide for the day (8 hours) and as a supporter of the minimum wage legislation I am stuck with the "up to ?100" option.

This does not mean that I can (or do) afford it, and I have made other assumptions (this is Scotland, I have my own tackle, we are walking to the river/ loch). Were the hire fee to have to include (as it often does) permit, tackle hire, boat, lunch, access to a hut etc. then I would consider a higher fee for that "once in a lifetime" experience.

Which takes me back to the "vested interest" in my first sentence- it does happen. Guests at the hotel may be paying thousands for a trip to Scotland and only have one day to fish (no gear, no experience of Scottish fishing) but have read much about it (one of the standard US texts on fly-tying quotes the hotel as arguably the best fishing hotel in Scotland) and are happy to spend ?200+ for a day out (they will have paid much more than that for a round of golf at St Andrews).

A final point- as a boring ex-scientist - a reminder of the original question which assumes that you have decided to hire a guide- logically you cannot answer "zilch" to this poll- just determine how much you would pay.

Ken
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

rabbitangler

So again the question is put in a strange way. " Let?s assume you have decided to hire a guide (local or whatever)  for a day". To me this implies a couple of things:

1) you need someones expertise

2) you wish to 'hire' therefore will pay cash money for this expertise.

3) you're looking for a 'days' hire

So in answering the question & polling a zero you are in fact not answering truthfully or should not have put in your vote because you are answering a different question, one which does not relate to this poll and will undoubtably skew any result in a biased way.

So assuming we answer the question put how much would you expect to earn from your days work guys??

Minumum wage would be say ?6+ per hour?

So your guide meets you on the water (lets assume no permit/travelling cost involved), meets you at lets say 8am, takes you to a river/loch you've never fished, gets you a half decent days sport finishing whenever you want, say 6pm - in time for a reasonable dinner time, 10 hours = ?60+.

Tell me. If you were inclined to employ a guide would you rather have someone who is working for minimum wage or someone who is going to give you a professional service??

If you were 'HIRING' (which is what it says in the question) a guide would you expect them to give their services for LESS then minimum wage????

Would YOU be willing to work at your chosen employment NOW for less than minimum wage???

Somehow I don't think so!!

If someone is willing to provide a guiding serve they have costs incurred, they have knowledge to pass on but quite rightly at a economic cost to them. They are after all in business. If anglers feel that is to expensive so be it, they will fail. But answering a hypothetical poll when you really shouldn't is not going to get a true answer. Or is that the point?

Inchlaggan

Quote from: rabbitangler on June 11, 2009, 06:50:10 PM
If you were 'HIRING' (which is what it says in the question) a guide would you expect them to give their services for LESS then minimum wage????

Would YOU be willing to work at your chosen employment NOW for less than minimum wage???

No and No. (good post Rabbitangler)

For this to be valid we need to ignore the "zilch" votes.

The arguments (for or against hiring a guide) remain informative if one ignores the cost, if the decison is made on cost alone -so be it, but that was not what was asked.

This poll remains of interest if-

You have decided to hire a guide

and

You are not limited by cost but wish to suggest a "proper" amount.

Ken
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

Wildfisher

I think most  people  will pay what they believe to  be the worth or what they can expect to  gain. For example, the likelihood of a notable (big in most people?s eyes) fish in Scotland is not high. In New Zealand, for example, it is. Which is probably  one reason there is a thriving guiding community there.

Is ?200 good value  for a potential ?once in a lifetime? experience?  I think so.

Is ?200 good value  for a potential ?wheen o? bandies? and just maybe the chance of a slightly better fish? Probably not.

A few years ago Swithun  and I were out in a boat in Harris with  a ghille. Without him and his superb boat handling skills we could not have fished. It was a howler of a day, but he had us fishing. He was damned good at what he  did. He charged ?35 for his time, permits etc were extra.   Peanuts, but it was the going rate.  I would not have done it, but the reality is he was glad of the work. Swithun gave him a bit extra (he is a big earner) but the chap did not expcet it.

BTW, I think the zilch option is a good validation tool. It indicates the level of participation  that would otherwise be unknown. Like  ?none of the above? many would  like to see on  ballot papers. Remember voting is not compulsory.

Go To Front Page