News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

How Much Would You Pay For Guide In Scotland?

Started by Wildfisher, June 11, 2009, 07:56:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How much would you pay for  guide in Scotland for one day

Zilch
11 (57.9%)
Up to  ?50
2 (10.5%)
Up to ?100
4 (21.1%)
Up to ?150
2 (10.5%)
Over ?150
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Inchlaggan

Quote from: admin on June 11, 2009, 07:31:22 PM
BTW, I think the zilch option is a good validation tool. It indicates the level of participation  that would otherwise be unknown. Like  ?none of the above? many would  like to see on  ballot papers. Remember voting is not compulsory.

I agree with validation tools, but the logical implication of the question posed cannot be answered by "I would hire a guide, but pay him zilch".

The validation, IMHO, should be "I would not hire a guide".
No offence intended.

Ken
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

Wildfisher

Quote from: Inchlaggan on June 11, 2009, 07:41:47 PM
No offence intended.

None taken.  

Most of the ?zilchees? have noted in their posts they would not hire a guide in Scotland.

Given that were you to offer a Scottish ?guide?  zilch for his services he would be very unlikely to take your business, for all practical purposes,  it really amounts to the same thing.

alancrob

I have only twice paid for a "guide". Not in Scotland.

I was collected both times from the hotel. Taken to the river/lake, both times about a 30 minute drive. Supplied with all tackle/rods/lures/flies etc. Once also waders. I was taken around the hotspots. Given sound advice on where and how to fish. Fish caught were netted, photographs taken and fish returned. Lunch was provided, including soft drinks. On the lake the deal also covered cost of fuel for a good quality, fast boat.

At the end of the day, when we both agreed the day was up - no clock watching - I was taken back to the hotel.

On both days I had a memorable fishing trip. I fished in good company, finding areas I would never have been near, catching good fish with a guide who was activly protecting the fishing stock. Both guides new the area and new about fishing.

On both days I paid over ?100!

Money well spent in my opinion.

Why would we expect someone in this country to provide a similar service for less?

The only other comparison I have is 15 people on a boat fishing by lottery for Tuna off Tenerife. Not a fun day and not to be repeated. ?30!

Alan

Go To Front Page