News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Another One For The Casting Dudes

Started by Wildfisher, October 12, 2009, 08:17:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

OK, I?ve been  practising aerial mends, reach casts, snake rolls, ham rolls, cheese rolls  and most other  kinds of rolls for weeks now and need a change.

Can  you casting dudes suggest a new river / presentation cast I can add to my repertoire? 

None of this chuck it as far as you can and haul it back stuff please.

scotty9

There's a million different spey/trick casts you could learn?

There's only so many presentation casts needed, if you can put slack line where you want it you're sorted. There's a few basic presentation casts which are the most useful and the rest are most likely just variations of each to place slack line at differing lengths away from the fly or rod.

If you can get a hold of Jason Borger's book, The Nature of Flycasting, then there's a very substantial section on presentation casts and mends.

Malcolm

There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

haresear

How about the tuck cast Fred? Useful for getting your nymph to drop through the water on a slack line and get down quick.

http://stevenojai.tripod.com/tuck.htm

Alex

Protect the edge.

Wildfisher

I'll have a go at that tuck cast. It does not look too hard to do. As the site says it looks useful  for pocket water.

rabbitangler

Try that on it's side Fred and you have a pretty viscious curve cast useful if you want the fly to drift down before the line. Underpower it similarly and you curve it the opposite way if your on the opposite bank.

Wildfisher

Thanks lads I'll try that this evening.

Still get an hour of daylight when I get home. Not for much longer though. :(

scotty9

Quote from: Alan on October 13, 2009, 05:20:51 PM
dont listen to them, the vodoo cast is the only thing to do with fly fishing that can make a woman moist.

its also the only way to dry a fly with an off water cast, apart from the snap z which will give you a 60 degree direction change at the same time.

He's not lying, warning though - you may have the same effect from men  :shock: It's THAT good you'll get everyone going.

Go To Front Page