News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Oliver Kite: famous fly fisher, dreadful caster?

Started by Wildfisher, November 26, 2009, 08:40:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

What do you think? Would Olie have passed  the  casting assessment and earned his Blue Peter badge?

haresear

I thought his casting was actually pretty good, given the characteristics and heaviness of the rods of the day.

He gets a pretty tight loop and stops the rod well. Maybe appears to go a bit far back on the backcast, but a through action rod needs a longer casting stroke to get the straight line path, so that would account for his style.

I think John Noakes is called for to present the BP badge.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Wildfisher

I think the old slow rod is the key and probably why he gets away with next to no pause on the back cast.

Wildfisher

Quote from: haresear on November 26, 2009, 09:55:18 PM
I think John Noakes is called for to present the BP badge.

I think that  was pre- John Noakes Alex.  :D

Valerie Singleton I think??

[attachimg=1]

haresear

Having watched that again, I'm not so sure that the rod is through actioned. The butt and mid section seem fairly stiff.

I hadn't noticed the short pause to be honest, but then we can't see exactly how short a line he is fishing. Short line, short pause.

It is hard to see what is happening on Ollie's back cast, but if his forward cast works (and I think it does) then that is good enough for me. You can't argue with a good loop shape.

There are principles we need to apply to get a perfect cast, but mostly a perfect cast isn't strictly necessary to present the fly.

I don't think a rigid, regimented casting technique is what is needed on a river. It is about adapting to the situation and there is room for individual style too.

Any Lesley Judd photos Fred? How about that Ayshea Brough :P

Alex
Protect the edge.

Wildfisher

Quote from: haresear on November 26, 2009, 10:42:54 PM
I don't think a rigid, regimented casting technique is what is needed on a river. It is about adapting to the situation and there is room for individual style too.

Agreed. How's his tracking?   :lol:

Found this just for you Alex

BTW I?d bet John Noakes would have made a great fly caster. ?.. that guy could  do anything: airline pilot, steeplejack, dog trainer, free fall parachute jumper? you name it John Noakes could do it.  :lol:

haresear

QuoteFound this just for you Alex

On second thoughts, give me Petra any day
Protect the edge.

Go To Front Page