News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

The British Fly Casting Club

Started by Wildfisher, August 25, 2011, 08:56:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

http://www.thebfcc.co.uk/

So what's this all about then?

Another self appointed "governing body"   in the making? - I have to say I often worry when an organization most people may never have heard of claims to be "The Home Of" .

Or is it just  bunch of guys sharing a common interest and having a bit of  fun?

Anyone here members? Anyone got the "HANDSOME BFCC SEW-ON BADGE" ? 

Wildfisher

Aye, your right enough Smurf.

To be honest I really fancy that  "HANDSOME BFCC SEW-ON BADGE" get it up there next to my "Trootmester"  badge on my Sage baseball cap.  :lol:  

Seriously though, these things are  great if they are kept as a loose association and don't attempt to become "governing bodies". Do they operate in Scotland? Are they a threat to our proud Scottish national casting  identity?  :lol:  Are they an embryonic  accreditation body?  

Wildfisher

Having had a chance to look at their site it appears fairly innocuous and it does not  look like they will be making a bid for world domination any time soon.  :D  I have added a link on the links page.

Malcolm

It's just that - a fly casting club. It's been going for many years and I think the leading light is Mike Marshall. It's much more about casting as an end in it's own right rather than as a means to improve catching fish as far as I can work out.

A few of us will be going along to an event in Glasgow in September to get some coaching from the experts in this field and we will be having a bash at the various events with the somewhat specialized gear they use. I expect we will try every every event - we'll possibly never use such specialized equipment ever again so why not. I suspect we newbies will cast rather modestly and will probably cast less well with that equipment than with our own which is only to be expected.
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

scotty9

They are pretty serious... whilst they are not the official distance casting body in the UK (can't remember who is) they are the most popular and regularly run competitions. They are the body you would look to if you are into distance casting. They are run by a good bunch of guys and they are amongst Britain's top caster, there's nothing shady about it.

There's a BFCC competition in Glasgow on the 11th September. A scottish comp (and casting day) affiliated with the GCC.

I say all credit to them. They have gone out there, created a competition circuit that is well organised. It's not all about the competition mind you, their days are to have a cast and receive instruction, even for the public. There is also an accuracy comp to balance out the distance stuff :) If it wasn't for them, anyone wanting to take part in official competition would only have the CLA gamefair type of thing or have to go overseas.

Oops - Malcolm got in there first, very good point on the last paragraph!

Wildfisher

September? That's a shame. I might have gone for a look had it been after 6th October. They must be more of a casting for casting's sake than for fishing's sake  organization if holding events like this in what can be one of the best fishing months of the year. That may put  some off.

Wildfisher

Ah well, looks like I'll be missing them all.  :(

Sometimes it's a bitch this being a hardcore roughy toughy get out there every spare minute  wild fly fisher, but then again one must suffer for one's art.  :lol:

Wildfisher

Quote from: Alan on August 25, 2011, 02:03:36 PM
we'll do an out of season casting thing at some point, if the perth one goes ok could do another there.

That would be fine. For me the standing  around duck ponds bullshitting season is from 7th October to 14th March   :lol:

davefromtheattic

Quote from: admin on August 25, 2011, 01:23:26 PM
Sometimes it's a bitch this being a hardcore roughy toughy get out there every spare minute  wild fly fisher, but then again one must suffer for one's art.  :lol:

That's what I was telling myself last night, Fred. I was fighting my way through rough ground, nettles taller than me and a section of willow type trees and vine things that I litteraly got tangled and stuck in. Fish rising in areas the best casters couldn't cover, I would imagine. I got home and thought of the half to three quarter pound fish I caught whilst my hands throbbed with nettle stings, absolutely knackered and totally satisfied  :D.

I do enjoy casting and would like to make it to all of these events, but my mind is always on learning to better my fishing rather than getting caught up in casting as a sport in it's own right. Ideally these casting days/events would be out of season. It is rather illogical  :?

Wildfisher

Quote from: davefromtheattic on August 25, 2011, 02:28:18 PM
It is rather illogical  :?

Might it be that  many  of the guys who organize  these BFCC type events  mainly fish for stockie rainbows  where is no season?

Go To Front Page