News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

First Glasgow Casting Club experience

Started by 13Fisher1, January 06, 2013, 03:40:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

13Fisher1

So good deserves 2nd Post. Breaking rules no doubt.

Re: Spey Casting Tuition
« Reply #13 on: Today at 01:06:02 PM »
QuoteModify
Just returned from my first visit to GCC and very glad I decided to go.
Met up and introduced to Malcolm, Jim, Tom and Harry, sorry there were others who arrived at the end of the session.

I believe that this was probably the best spent couple of hours that I will invest this year and I mean this sincerely!

Three major reasons for this are:
1. Meeting finally some of the like minded forum members
2. 1st invaluable learning point was that my line was not matched to my rod, too light to load the rod.
3. The valuable chance to get and willingness to give trusted advice and tuition.

Thank you to Jim, Malcolm and Tim, particularly you Jim who upon seeing my complete absence of any mastery whatsoever of my 15 ft salmon rod took me under his wing and patiently began to show me some of basics of d handed Spey cast. Homework to do that involves standing in front of mirror!
Thanks also to Malcolm who bowled me over by offering me a fantastic deal on the Orvis Spey line that he was trialing on his rod but which performed so well in my Trion fast action rid.

Thank you guys and will definitely be attending in future, a great example of a virtual and also real group of like minded people who share a common pursuit. I look forward to meeting again and also being able to contribute in whatever way I can going forward.

Colin

:D :D

Malcolm

Good to meet you, I knew Harry from the River Endrick and he is a member on here. Salmon fly casting is in many ways much more precise thatn trout and the tackle is totally unforgiving if you get the line rod combination wrong. Whereas in trout fishing you can get away with a line size or two either side of the norm at a pinch, with a salmon set up it simply won't cast.

Jim shoukld become an instructor and he's helped me over the past couple of years by spotting problems very early on. Mostly along the line: "get that bottom hand working". Another week or two and you'll be fussing over straight line or curved lifts and how to do the circle spey.

There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

13Fisher1

Just back and thawing out from another very valuable and useful meet at the GCC, bit cold but for me the benefit in being able to get some real one in one coaching and advice was once again invaluable and in my case very necessary. Regarding my Spey casting ability feel that it's starting to gel!  Thank you again to fellow anglers like Jim in particular who take the trouble to provide their time (&patience) for novices like me.

Thanks Malcolm for Orvis  Spey line which will allow rod/line balance and a very good deal!

Enourage anyone who may think that they still have areas to learn or improve to make the effort to get along.

Cheers, Colin

Malcolm

What a difference Colin in the space of a few hours. From arriving with a rod/line combination that wouldn't work to very acceptable spey casts is great. I think you are making great progress.

I tried out the silk line again today and really liked it until it started to sink towards the tip. It does cast beautifully. However that is a £135 line and I have to say that that would get a lot of other lines. One of their advantages is apparently their ability to defeat the wind but so far There hasn't been the wind around to test this out. That one advantage may make silk worthwhile on the clyde where in early season a heavy downstream wind seems to be the norm rather than exception.   
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Lochmor

Likewise for me Colin, it was another enjoyable and well spent morning at GCC.  After only two weeks I feel I am starting to make some progress with Single Spey cast using my double handed setup - even putting a half decent line out (sometimes).  This of course is down to the generous 1 to 1 coaching and advice I've had over the past couple of weeks from Malcolm, Jim, Ian and Duncan.   Also, great to get a chance to discuss and try out different rod/line combinations.

A great opportunity for anyone wanting to maintain / improve on their casting skills, and share some good conversation with a friendly bunch of angling enthusiasts.

Cheers

H.

Go To Front Page