News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Snake Roll

Started by Wildfisher, October 19, 2008, 07:12:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

haresear

QuoteThe wind prevented the "kiss" getting as close to me as I would've preferred, but it really is a fantastic way to get the line back up for a backcast and back over to the target.
The fly was getting caught at the top now and then though, any thoughts ?.

It's hard to say without seeing it Tony. Were you doing a "proper" snake roll  - I mean allowing the D loop to form fully, with an "anchor" on the water?  If your fly was catching, it sounds like it was flipping up because the anchor wasn't long enough?

A tip for this cast is - the larger the change of direction, the bigger the circle/oval you need to draw in the air.

Alex
Protect the edge.

haresear

Quote from: zoomer on May 20, 2009, 01:05:47 AM
christ alex you must be telepathic.

telepathetic more like :)

Alex
Protect the edge.

Andrew Moray

Hello Alex,

Quote from: haresear on May 20, 2009, 01:03:34 AM
It's hard to say without seeing it Tony. Were you doing a "proper" snake roll  - I mean allowing the D loop to form fully, with an "anchor" on the water?  If your fly was catching, it sounds like it was flipping up because the anchor wasn't long enough?

A tip for this cast is - the larger the change of direction, the bigger the circle/oval you need to draw in the air.
THanks to the kind man that posted this before, this was the one I watched before I left
http://jpflyfishing.com/videos/index.htm - Single Handed Techniques video
The off the opp shoulder one was the one I tried.

Going over the movements earlier today, I reckon the "e" wasn't big enough as you say, and I suspect I was dropping the rod tip into the "snake" rather than keeping the tip up, if that makes sense ?, it did before I typed it  :D

There's Klingons on the starboard bow, so hopefully make it out tomorrow to test them, and get a wee swish and flick whilst sliding over algae covered rocks ...  :D

Again, thanks,
Tony

p.s. Feb 2010 - just rub it in why don't you ...  :lol:

Andrew Moray

Hello Zoomer,

Quote from: zoomer on May 20, 2009, 01:04:15 AM
dont know if this will work but.....have a look at the angle change.
MANY thanks for that, I predict more ruined tapered leaders in the days ahead  :D

Quote from: zoomer on May 20, 2009, 01:17:30 AM
not a snake roll but i found this in the same place, its possible to lift more line than a normal spey with the snap, who says weight forward lines cast further :o
Aha, hadn't thought of a snap T used like that, thanks again, I think  :lol:

Tony

Allan Crawford

I was shown how to snake roll last season on the Ness and was surprised by how easy it is, not saying I'm a great caster but it looks more difficult than it is, I find it as easy if not easier than single spey.

Go To Front Page