News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Fly tying vice and accessories

Started by Lochan, April 25, 2009, 02:38:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lochan

Thanks for the advice Black Don. I am going to start with traditional brown trout flies and keep it simple to start with! I hope to try and tie some salmon flies when I get the hang of it. I am planning some wild camping trips up north this summer but I have not got beyond the planning stage yet. I hope to have some of my own flies to test out by then.

Ian_M

It's a wise man that bookmarks all of these fly tying sites for future reference.   :8)
Ian

shanksi

Quote from: Ian_M on April 26, 2009, 11:40:21 AM
It's a wise man that bookmarks all of these fly tying sites for future reference.   :8)

Only problem is you can end up with pages of them. :D

You'll get Neil at http://www.wellbanklochans.co.uk/

Ian

Clansman

I got a vice and tools from ebay - very happy with the purchase all the tools you need and reasonably priced. the vice is a regent style vice with heavy vice plate instead of a clamp.

Heres a link

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VICE-AND-TOOLS-FOR-FLY-TYING-DELUX-EDITION_W0QQitemZ170325781149QQihZ007QQcategoryZ23816QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

rabbitangler

I used the snowbee flymate for about 6 years and found it a great vice wich did everything I needed, price is competative too. If you get one though watch the wee rubber band at the back of the jaws, they get lost with great ease.

Ian_M

Ian

Part-time

Lochan,

I had a few bits of fly tying gear for years but but never really got into it until this year. I got hold of the regent vice after reading good comments on here about it and found it a huge improvement on the unknown make I had before.

One of the things that used to frustrate me was not having all the the materials for the patterns I wanted to tie. What I found helped me was to decide first on half a dozen flies I wanted to tie , get hold of their patterns, see what materials I was missing and then order them up. Then see what yo need for the next few and so on and after a wee while you build up enough materials to cope with most things - you'll always find you need just one other essential material for the next killer fly though :)

Lochan

Thanks for that Part-time, it is good advice. I think I will need to find a good fly tying book to give me ideas of where to get started. Maybe find some videos on youtube? My vice should arrive soon but still have some shopping for materials to do. I will definately focus on a few flies to tie first.

Cheers

Part-time

Nae bother Lochan,

I've a few fly pattern books but I mostly get patterns online now - the step by step guide and the 'what have you tied today' thread on this site in particular. If you do a google search on just about any fly you usually find someone somewhere has done a step by step of it.

Clansman

One of the best sites for fly tying imo is Davie McPhail's - here's the link

http://www.youtube.com/user/PeatyMann?blend=2&ob=1

Go To Front Page