News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Great Flies for the Broonies!

Started by Steve_Mack75, April 11, 2004, 10:55:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

Thanks for sending these Bob, here they are.

Deer Hair Emerger

Dirty Duster

Wildfisher

Quote from: Bob WyattBeen looking around the site and came on to this thread.  We had a discussion about it up at the Crask in this week and it might be a good idea to post some of the ideas that developed....  

Bob,

Further to this ....... regarding the deer hair emerger and also the dark claret version of your deer hair sedge, I certainly was fishing them wrong when I first tied  them up about a year and a half  ago. Pulling them did not work for  me at all and Allan put me right. I now fish these almost totally static or very slowly - first ginking the ?wing? and that can work  spectacularly.  ( I fish ? hogs the same way) . Yet again today  on the Tirry, I used the  big sedge you gave me  on Thursday, fished it as a dry and it took a lot of fish. It is weird to see this big fly (even I can see it!) and the fish slashing  at it. I guess though that in the main  they see the partly submerged body and not the mass of the deer hair that is keeping the fly up.

Wildfisher

Quote from: Allan LiddleTut Tut Tut.
Using these 'things' on the Tirry of all places!

Aye Liddle, its OK for you youngsters wi? yer 20-20 vision an?  yer  fancy wee flees hanging? fae yer 5 wt. B+W?s efter downin' 40 pints the nicht  afore   :shock:  

Older lads like me an? the Bobs need something we can see in the waater  :lol:

Bob Wyatt

Fred,

May as well let the guys know what that Sedge looks like.

http://www.danica.com/flytier/rwyatt/deer_hair_sedge.htm

It's interesting that last weekend the dark claret sedge didn't work as well as a reddish, fiery brown seal's fur body.  I tested it by swapping the two colours on point and bob (both sedges), the fish definitely preferred the reddish body.  A back-end thing I guess.

By the way, that nice fish you mentioned took a good old wet Red Tag (peacock body, black hackle, red fluoro wool tag, size 10).  It was a barbless hook too, but it stayed in till we got a photo.  It probably responded to the Sedge on the bob and then went for the wet fly on the point. Great way to round up the season.

Go To Front Page