News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Whiteman's Claret Buzzer

Started by claret bumble, May 21, 2005, 11:32:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

claret bumble

This pattern is in this months issue of T&S. Being relatively new to flytying was looking for some advice.

Hook: 8-10
Tag: hares ear
Rib: fine gold wwire or fine black floss
Hackles: 3 quality cream cock hackles and furnace or ginger tied hsort at the shoulder.
Body: 50% dark claret, 25% hare's ear, 10% orange, 10% dark olive, 5% black - all mixed thoroughly up together.

Question is would the fly be as effective if these proportions weren't followed ie just dark claret and hares ear mixed?? Seems a very complicated mix otherwise and as I don't have all the ingredients to stick in the pot was looking to cut corners!!

lnelson20

Alway's remember you can do and try what you like Bumble,if you wish to stick to the original pattern no prob's,but if you want to experimenta bit[as we all do]feel free to do so,that's the whole joy of it,you can tye original's and experiment with your own ideas.all the best.
chris.
c.nelson

Wildfisher

I think what most tiers do is use what they have. That way you end up  with a similar fly you can then call it your own!  :lol:

claret bumble

Thank you - so white cock hackles instead of cream will be ok?? - and I can blame you guys if I blank - sounds good!

lnelson20

Quote from: claret bumbleThank you - so white cock hackles instead of cream will be ok?? - and I can blame you guys if I blank - sounds good!
Recently ran out of black seal's fur while tying kate mc larens,so used a substitute,black flash brite,and if anything,i think it improves this pattern even more :shock: [i do anyway]in the end it's just a confidence thing,if you feel confident with it,it usually catches troot. :D
Keep tying lads
Look north
Chris.
c.nelson

Wildfisher

Quote from: lnelson20
Quote from: claret bumbleThank you - so white cock hackles instead of cream will be ok?? - and I can blame you guys if I blank - sounds good!
Recently ran out of black seal's fur while tying kate mc larens,so used a substitute,black flash brite,and if anything,i think it improves this pattern even more :shock: [i do anyway]in the end it's just a confidence thing,if you feel confident with it,it usually catches troot. :D
Keep tying lads
Look north
Chris.

Definitely correct! This is the main reason folk tend to fish with the same patterns. Confidence. (or lack of it). Truth is most flies catch, like you say it is having the confidence to use them

lnelson20

Totally agree Fred,it's like the flash brite for my kates,if it improves this pattern or not it's irrelevent,i think it does,so i fish it with even more confidence,conviction,and concentration,enough said :D  :lol:
Keep tying lads
Look north
Chris.
c.nelson

Go To Front Page