News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

flies

Started by stephen_oconnor, May 22, 2005, 09:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stephen_oconnor

could anyone help me out with a common fly that would be good for brown trout, i don't really know what kind of fly to use as i only started fly fishing

Wildfisher

If you are just starting  out in fly fishing,  fish 2 flies maximum.

For river fishing  a good cast would be

Greenwells Glory
Black Spider

For lochs

Kate McClaren (dropper)
Black Pennel (tail)

Or

Try a butcher on the tail

I am sure other members will have different ideas

Richy

Green tailed Kate,  and Fred's Fred Hog are good at the moment. Not to mention Machair Spider Stephen.

I also like the Heather Fly(Dry)

There are links to them which I will try and post for you unless someone does it first.

All the best

Richy

lnelson20

Wouldn't think Stephen would be tying yet,so the green tailed kate and machair spider would be out,don't think you can buy these in the tackle shop,all other pattern's fine.
Keep tying lad's
Look north.
Chris
c.nelson

Richy

Stephen,

Send me a PM of your address and I will send you the flies.  :D  :D

All the best

Richy

lnelson20

Quote from: RichyStephen,

Send me a PM of your address and I will send you the flies.  :D  :D

All the best

Richy
Good man Ritchie,the best fishing site oot by a mile :D Would you send me some Ritchy :roll:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Cheer's
Chris.
c.nelson

Richy

Aye, nae bother Chris..............if ye show me the road to the Beetle....................... :lol:  :lol:

All the best

Richy

lnelson20

Quote from: Ardbeg
Aye, nae bother Chris..............if ye show me the road to the Beetle.......................    
Chris, you may never have to tie/buy a flee again with the beetle up your sleeve :D
Bye and bye Stephen, I've got green tailed kates's from Kate Fleming's in Blairgowrie before so they must be oot there, well worth a try.  Any of the invicta's are also good.

Ardbeg
It's the only place to keep it Ardbeg,for the noo anyway :D
c.nelson

Dougster

I'm certainly not tying yet so where is the best place to buy the flies mentioned?

I did manage to get a mixed selection off e-bay and some of them look similar to what has been mentioned in this thread.

There is no Green Tailed anything and only a couple of Butchers, Deer Emergers  though

I'll try and get some pics up of my 'collection' soon!!  :oops:  :lol:

Wildfisher

Quote from: DougsterI'm certainly not tying yet so where is the best place to buy the flies mentioned?

I did manage to get a mixed selection off e-bay and some of them look similar to what has been mentioned in this thread.

There is no Green Tailed anything and only a couple of Butchers, Deer Emergers  though

I'll try and get some pics up of my 'collection' soon!!  :oops:  :lol:

for a good selection of flies and good prices try

http://www.selectafly-wales.co.uk/

Go To Front Page