News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

turks tarantula.

Started by flyboy, July 15, 2009, 04:55:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

River Chatter

I finally caved last night and tied up a couple of TTs... I'm so bloody easily influenced!  :? Anyway, I wanted to ask, how do you guys get the rubber legs to sit correctly? My efforts are ok-ish, but a bit untidy looking cos the legs aren't sitting right... I do like a tidy fly box! Any hints appreciated.  :)

Ian_M

I was having the same problem with the legs RC and then I remembered something I posted ages ago.  I now tie the tail, rib, wing and then attach the legs.  At this point I use a piece of drinking straw to protect and hide the dressing while I spin the deer hair for the head. Once the fly is complete I trim the head with the straw still in place as this makes things much easier.  You can push and hold hold the straw back towards the eye and the hairs stands up ready for the scissors.

Link to original post ...

http://www.wildfisher.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=2886.msg21506#msg21506

Hope this helps.

p.s. I now split the straw along its entire length which makes it easier to remove.
Ian

Wildfisher

3 good reasons to  persevere  with the TT.

As Haresear  says if you fish 'average' most of the time you will catch 'average'.

[attachimg=1]

[attachimg=2]

[attachimg=3]

Just remember to fish C+R!

Wildfisher

Quote from: claretbumble on July 30, 2009, 06:59:18 PM
Or am I missing the point of the post?

yes, but at least  you are consistent.

haresear

Well...not exactly a 3 to the pound water Claretbumble but not exactly NZ either... http://www.wildfisher.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=8544.0 - If you know of any waters in NZ or anywhere else for that matter where seven pounders are "average" then please, pass it on :)

Why not try  a TT and see what happens? Paulr did on Rannoch moor with rather decent results :D

The TT and the big ants are not silver bullets, just something else to try. I like to try them when nothing else is working. That way I'm not too surprised when I catch nothing :)

Protect the edge.

superscot

well we plan to try them in a few weeks on the Polly lochs ...

Wildfisher

Quote from: haresear on July 31, 2009, 12:22:35 AM
Why not try  a TT and see what happens? Paulr did on Rannoch moor with rather decent results :D

Exactly.If you fish for bandies  most of the time that's exactly what you'll catch.

River Chatter

Quote from: Ian_M on July 30, 2009, 06:40:49 PM
I was having the same problem with the legs RC and then I remembered something I posted ages ago.  I now tie the tail, rib, wing and then attach the legs.  At this point I use a piece of drinking straw to protect and hide the dressing while I spin the deer hair for the head. Once the fly is complete I trim the head with the straw still in place as this makes things much easier.  You can push and hold hold the straw back towards the eye and the hairs stands up ready for the scissors.

Link to original post ...

http://www.wildfisher.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=2886.msg21506#msg21506

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the drinking straw tip Ian (I'd forgot about that wee trick) but cutting the deer hair isn't really my problem. Aftern spinning the deer hair it causes the rubber legs to move and it's difficult for me to manipulate them after the hair's been cut to make them sit at a pleasing angle like the pics that have been posted on this site. I'm just being ham fisted I suppost!  :(

Ian_M

Hi RC,

Maybe I should explain a bit better. I tie the legs on before I add any deer hair and secure them with several turns of thread.  To hide this you could add a little more dubbing between the legs if you like.  When you hold everything back with the straw and spin the deer hair on to a bare hook shank the legs are not moved during this process.  I found that the legs tended to spin round the shank a bit when I was tying the deer hair in. Works for me   :D
Ian

River Chatter

Oh! ...hang on a mo, aren't the rubber legs tied thru the deer hair on a TT rather than on the dubbed body?

Go To Front Page